Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

CEL and up arrow flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL and up arrow flashing!

Hey guys, new to the site and lookin for help. I have a 95 850 turbo and am getting the dredded flashing up arrow and check engine light. Did some research and replaced the PNP already. Still flashin and gettin stuck in third gear. The A1 code I get is 3-2-2. What should I check out next. Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Code is for incorrect gear ratio, if that helps anyone. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mileage? Manual / Automatic? When was the last time the fluid was changed? What is the condition of the fluid now (level, color, smell)? Any previous history on your transm?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Not sure of mileage, cluster stopped workin at 98k. Its an auto and not sure of history, just bought it about six months ago. The fluid was very dark but just smelt like regular old trans fluid. I have drained the pan and refilled twice so far. Still same symptoms though. Oh yea and have cleared the codes and just get them back after drivin for a bit.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:39 PM

This is what Volvo Manual says:

"DTC 322/P0730: GEAR RATIO INFORMATION INCORRECT
1) Check transmission oil level. If oil level is low, top off as necessary and check for leaks. Repair as necessary. If oil level is okay, turn ignition on and check DTCs. Test drive vehicle while observing automatic transmission warning light. If light begins to
flash note any unusual symptoms in transmission operation or function. If transmission does not show any mechanical fault or malfunction, go to next step. If transmission has a mechanical malfunction and DTC 322 is not reset, repair or replace transmission as necessary."

Since yours does not work right and DTC pops up after erasing it -- "repair or replace transmission" -- this is pretty drastic heh? On other DTCs, the Documentation goes in much detail and many other steps. On your case, it is lethal off the batt.

I would try a few things though:

1- Since the PNP (Gear Position Sensor) was replaced, a- I would make sure that the it is adjusted correctly b- electrical connector is healthy and tight. (Probably nothing to do with your problem).

2- I would also disconnect the Transmission 26-pin Connector and make sure that pins are not bent, corroded or missing.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Alright!, thanks for the info. Where is the 26 pin for the trans? Is it on the trans. ecu? Also didn't use an alignment tool when doing the pnp. Just put it in neutral and pointed the shaft right at the mark on the pnp, just like the tool does. Took it for a drive this morn, and it seems that it shifts great from 1rst to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and then most of the times shifts real hard into fourth and then i get the code.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM

26-pin Connector is on the transmission next to the Gear Position Sensor. Like I said PNP does not seem to have anything to do with your problem. If everything is well when you go through the P-R-N-D then your PNP is aligned properly.

In your case, according Volvo, if there is no issue with the fluid, then transm is bad and needs Replace or Repair. I would try to do a total flush. I would also use Transm Gear Fluid additives.

You could take it to a reputable Transm shop, in which case besides charging for diagnostics, will probably end up telling "you need an overhaul". A used gearbox in junk places goes for $ 250-300.

These transm are very durable, but lack of servicing will kill anything.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Is ther anyway to check speed sensors? Or do u think thats not my problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM

If you don't have Volvo's 95 850 Transm Manual (38 pages, pdf), PM me your email and I can email you this document. There is all kinds of checks and tests that you can run, incl the VSS.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM

pm sent

Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Drained and filled trans fluid for third time. Still same problems. The problem seems to be when the trans tries to down shift one gear, it kind of floats around (slips) before engaging. If i floor it and it down shifts two gears its fine but just drivin normal and goes to down shift it floats around then grabs, sometimes hard. Any ideas? Thank u

Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Also, my tracs and abs light come on frequently. Do u think it could be a bad abs module, Causing a faulty vehicle speed signal? Thanks

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM

There is another thread currently about the TRACS and ABS warning lights. Cleaning the wheels sensors at each wheel cured the problem for many people. ABS modules go bad for 96s or 97s.

On your transm: I think, I hope you have started looking at various options / costs of replacing / overhauling the transmission.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by maines850
hey guys, new to the site and lookin for help. I have a 95 850 turbo and am getting the dredded flashing up arrow and check engine light. Did some research and replaced the pnp already. Still flashin and gettin stuck in third gear. The a1 code i get is 3-2-2. What should i check out next. Thanks
hello , that's not a good dtc to get . Trans control module detected slipping occuring and the trans goes into "limp mode"- 1 gear only . Ist i would check codes in all other systems . Erase everything , drain the trans (you will probably find black fluid) if it was full you'll get 3.5 qts out . Refill with 4qts good dexiii atf(a little extra) , try a genlte road test . Repeat until the fluid comes out clean - red . You may spend $100 on fluid but it's your only hope of saving the trans . 50/50 chance it will work , good luck . Vtech

Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

My limp mode doesn't go into 1rst. It actually gets stuck in third. I can turn the car off and back on and all is good till it slips again. Sometimes the arrow goes away after tunin it off and some times not. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Oh I see. Sorry misunderstood u. One gear only. Got ya. I just drove it for like a half hour and when I got home I checked the fluid level. Ive never checked it hot, just cold. It didn,t even register up to the lowest level on the hot side. It was perfect on the cold side. The car sat for maybe 5 mins before checkin. Do I need fluid? How do u guys check ur fluid? Hot or cold? Thnks a bunch

Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Oh I see. Sorry misunderstood u. One gear only. Got ya. I just drove it for like a half hour and when I got home I checked the fluid level. Ive never checked it hot, just cold. It didn,t even register up to the lowest level on the hot side. It was perfect on the cold side. The car sat for maybe 5 mins before checkin. Do I need fluid? How do u guys check ur fluid? Hot or cold? Thnks a bunch
make sure you are checking the fluid with the engine running in park . you have cold and hot marks on the dip stick . can check cold first but double check after 30 min of driving to be most accurate . vtech

Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Alright, got it at good level and color is red, but stiil same problem. Lookin at gettin a different trans I guess . What about the torque converter, when I change the trans out? Should I inspect it,and how? Could this just be my problem or U guys think it is internal parts in the trans? Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM

Also, I dont understand how it can work perfectly fine if I floor it and it downshifts and grabs. But just driving normal it will try to down shift one gear and slip. Someone please explain. Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 PM

Ive never checked it hot, just cold. It didn,t even register up to the lowest level on the hot side. It was perfect on the cold side. The car sat for maybe 5 mins before checkin. Do I need fluid? How do u guys check ur fluid? Hot or cold? Thnks a bunch
Maines: I don't want to belittle you in any way -- I think this problem might be a little beyond your abilities. You may need to get a friend to help you, or even a reputable transmission shop.

Quick Reply: CEL and up arrow flashing!