Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Cheap Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Exhaust

what would be the best to get for cheap, but sound decent

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

obx..

Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Cant beat the price, can beat the quality. Though i am happy with my OBX muffler

Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM

which one? how much are they new/used? i dont wanna spend more on the exhaust than i paid for the car

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OBX has very little on their website for Volvos but they do make about anything that you need. Just call them.

The only thing I have used from them was a header for an 850 N/A. The price was cheaper than the Chinese imports, it was all stainless steel and well welded.

Everything except the EGR fitted real well. The EGR line was a PITA on the header since its nipple was not at the same distance nor the same angle but after a couple of hours of swearing I got it to work.

The cat back systems look fairly easy to install since it comes in pieces rather than 1 big piece like the OEM.

...Lee

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust

Now I know that most of you "money is no object" guys out there will scoff at this, But I once (< 10 years ago) bought a complete used exhaust system for my old 89 Honda Civic at my local U Pull It junkyard for about 15 bucks. Looked like it might have been all replaced then the engine went or something. It was clean, straight, cheap and quiet. I spliced it on and drove it that way for about 3 years- till I sold the car. Just a thought. I can't see spending a pile of $ on a car (95 850 wagon) I bought for 1500. Guess it depends on the individual...

Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Check here for the OBX... here is where I got mine the link is in the middle of the post..
https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-to...08/#post272070

Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM

I paid $402 shipped for mine. After i sold my second downpipe (it comes with 2), sold the cat at the junk yard, and got scrap value for the rest of the exhaust, it wound up costing me about $230.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 PM

i think im lookin more towards somebody wantin to get rid of their exhaust for almost nothin....402 shipped is almost what i paid for the car

Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Your best bet if your looking for something that cheap is to go to a muffler shop have them cut out the stock muffler and weld in a magna-flow or something should only cost you about $150 to $200.
If thats too expensive still id say your S.O.L..

Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Criags list an old magnaflow for like 20-30 bucks a lot of times.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Default exhaust

jon hall- did you hear my suggestion? Dave

Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 AM

thanks for all the suggestions. guess im used to mustangs where it costs 75ish for a decent muffler that you can bolt in yourself. im just gonna hang out on craigslist til i find something used and go with it

Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by daver80
Now I know that most of you "money is no object" guys out there will scoff at this, But I once (< 10 years ago) bought a complete used exhaust system for my old 89 Honda Civic at my local U Pull It junkyard for about 15 bucks.
You asked what would be the best, cheapest and sound good.

I don't know about being a "Money is no object" guy but how many U pull lots do you think you'd have to comb and how many days, weeks, months or years do you think it'd be before you find that kind of buy under an 850?
My time is worth money even if I'm only sitting watching TV. I like to buy new when I can afford it and especially if it's something electrical but I've spent my share of time in the bone yard looking for something that isn't available or is something that's best (more economical) bought used.
You asked about a cheap exhaust, no one here will be able to guide you to a near new exhaust for 15 bucks. If they could, I'm sure they'd buy it and resell it (for a lot more).
People are still trying to help and they're giving you advice from their experience or knowledge. The cheapest way to go would depend on if you're doing a repair or want a new system with good sound. Your question seems to ask for a whole system, systems aren't cheap. If you did some research you'd already know there isn't a cheap system out there so YES, look on Craigs for someone selling used but you could at least thank people for trying to help rather than thinking or saying they're ideas represent "Money is no Object".

Old 09-24-2011, 02:47 PM

For me Money is "NO" object simply because I dont have any. LOL
But I waited 16 years to put the exhaust on my car. When I decided to do mine, I put $25 a week away for 3 months. Just think about it this way, you buy a used exhaust its either from a part out or it was replaced for some reason. You will tend to get what you pay for.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
You asked what would be the best, cheapest and sound good.

I don't know about being a "Money is no object" guy but how many U pull lots do you think you'd have to comb and how many days, weeks, months or years do you think it'd be before you find that kind of buy under an 850?
My time is worth money even if I'm only sitting watching TV. I like to buy new when I can afford it and especially if it's something electrical but I've spent my share of time in the bone yard looking for something that isn't available or is something that's best (more economical) bought used.
You asked about a cheap exhaust, no one here will be able to guide you to a near new exhaust for 15 bucks. If they could, I'm sure they'd buy it and resell it (for a lot more).
People are still trying to help and they're giving you advice from their experience or knowledge. The cheapest way to go would depend on if you're doing a repair or want a new system with good sound. Your question seems to ask for a whole system, systems aren't cheap. If you did some research you'd already know there isn't a cheap system out there so YES, look on Craigs for someone selling used but you could at least thank people for trying to help rather than thinking or saying they're ideas represent "Money is no Object".
you bitchin at me or the guy who said get it used at a junkyard for $15. why do research when i can get on here and ask questions to people who already know? if i research, i may choose the worst one out there all because i researched and made a bad choice. pretty sure i did say "thank you" to people, never did i say money is no object

Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jonhall
you bitchin at me or the guy who said get it used at a junkyard for $15.
Dear Jonhall, Yes I was bitchin' at you because I screwed up and thought you had tossed in the 15$ exhaust and "money is no object" comment. MY fault for not paying enough attention to the thread.
Reason I'm reading it is I too am looking for a new exhaust and although I'd love to have the OBX system it just isn't in my reach yet. Just blew money on inner & outer tie rod ends, struts, spring seats and the upper plates. Sorry for not paying more attention.

I was wrong, no dinner, to my room.

And, there's no problem with the 15 dollar exhaust story either as it's just someone tossing in their experience. I goofed and thought it was Jonhall and you were saying you were looking for a system that sounded good that cheap.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 09-25-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: needed to grovel a bit more
Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by jonhall
i think im lookin more towards somebody wantin to get rid of their exhaust for almost nothin....402 shipped is almost what i paid for the car
just save up the 400$ and buy yourself a nice new shinny exhaust. for 150-200 just for a muffler swap might just go with the obx. with the obx you dont even have to worry about the cat.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:57 AM

found a new magnaflow for $75 from a local....thanks guys

Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Default exhaust

Guess I touched a nerve with the "money is no object" line. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Well I did buy a junkyard system for 15 bucks. the whole thing. I did not search yard after yard, I did not search for years and years. The exhaust system went, I drove 5 miles to my local place. bought it and hooked it up. Drove it for 3 years. I, like JonHall am operating on a shoestring. I am 1 income supporting a family, I can't just drop 500 bucks at the blink of an eye. Plus I'm in high tax New York state. I've got to make do. If he's been driving it loud for 3 years sounds like its not an urgent repair. Jeeze never thought everyone would get so hot under the collar, it was just a suggestion to check (one) junkyard see if anything would work. What's he got to lose, a dollar in time (junkyard admission fee) and a half hour to walk the yard. It's fun to walk the yard anyway! Lighten up folks! Dave

Quick Reply: Cheap Exhaust