Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Console and Cluster Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Console and Cluster Lights

Hello everyone,

Thanks to Autoxray I was able to replace the lights for the trip computer today. It is very nice to finally see it and it also livens up the the cluster.

Now the console is another story. The lights for the gear selector have gone outas has one of the seat heater lights.

How do I go about replacing them, if it is possible,and where might I find the replacement lights?

Thank you all in advance and Ill post a link to some photos of the cluster later.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Console and Cluster Lights

The switch lamps on a '94 are not a plug in style lamp. You need to remove the switch and disassemble it (the switch itself) the lamp is then soldered in. As you take the switch apart springs and contacts go flying and you need to be clever to figure out how it all goes back together.

For the shifter and the ring around the cigarette lighter the lamp is a unique socketed base lamp. The only place I know of to get them is through the dealer or IPD. It is part number 1363149 and they are insanely expensive.

For the shifter lamp and the switch lamps I just buy micro lamps from Radio Shack (Part number 272-1092) and, in the case of the shifter lamp, cut out the old lamp and then solder the replacement bulb into the old socket. I think Radio Shack closed all of its Canadian stores though. You can get the specs off of the Radio Shack web site and perhaps find them from a local electronic parts supply house.

...Lee

Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Radio shack is where I got mine. You can possibly order them on line.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Hello Lee & Psaboic,

Good to hear from the both of you again and thank you for the input.

Im not going to worry about the cigarette lighter ring as I had to changethe socketsome time back. And I really only usethe socketfor my power inverter for the laptop which is never ending tunes, that Iactually enjoy.

Right now I have the P,R,N, lights out and the light in the switch for the heated seat. Which reminds me, I need to find a replacement heater element for the drivers side. Any ideas?

Radio Shack is now the Source by Circuit City here in Canada but not much else has changed.

Im enjoying some Appleton Estate (go figure, like The Anvil) Reserve Rhum and will tackle the console and seat removal tomorrow so that I can do a really good cleaning.

If soldering is involved, Ive got no problem with that. The right iron, wick and solder and Im good to go. I used to run a PC production line for Digital Equipment of Canada, from single parts to tested and in a chassis completed product. Testing and rework included (if needed). From the removel of to the replacement of 256 pin ICs (or better) in about five minutesto resistors by the dozen.

Ill have to remove the components to see exactly what Im working with. And Ill stop by our version of Radio Shack tomorrow with photos of the parts in question and Ill bring your suggested part # with me. Just in caseits still good. You never know!

This is going to be an ongoing W.I.P. so you know that Ill be back to gain more Power from the Swartz! Since I did the trip computer back lights yesterday Im feeling really good. Didnt break off the reset button for the milage. Didnt scratch the hell out of the the cluster clear plastic cover piece. Everything was out and back in place in 20 minutes. Frackin Sweet.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-21-2008, 06:27 AM

Heres a link,

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...albumview=grid

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]