Cluster lights.... and rear fogs

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster lights.... and rear fogs

Hello again folks,

I have a issue regarding cluster and dash lights. On my "new" to me 1990 Volvo 240 the lights for the gauges and the dash lights(AC/Heat etc) are not working EXCEPT for the light that backlights blower motor **** on the AC/Heater controller(it is a bit faint but lights up the "1" setting(low)

The seller told me up front that the odometer and the gauge lights did not work the whole time he owned the car(second owner) but that never bothered him much(he kept a small flashlight in the center console for seeing the gauges at night)

I have read that no lights means the dimmer(rheostat) could possibly have taken a dump or that the lights are simply burned out

If one of the dash lights in the heater/AC control is lit then would this rule out the rheostat as being bad? That one light does dim when turning the dimmer switch.

Does this point to bad bulbs or is there something else that causes this with the cluster/dash lights?(the tail lights work)

I will remove the cluster this weekend. Everything else on the cluster(except the odometer) work well
Also do both rear tail lights have fog lights or is it only the left one?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

You are on the right track re the bulbs issue...

Fog is only on the left.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I got ambitious and decided to investigate last night. I found out at least for the cluster that the the bulbs were burned out(both had breaks in the filament) other then that the bulbs looked good with only a small bit of charring at the base of one of the bulbs

Now these bulbs seem to be fancy halogen type Osram bulbs and not the peanut bulbs(type 194) that are in most clusters. Where do i get these bulbs? How much do they run?

Out of interest, is this car supposed to run rough? It feels like I am driving a tractor. It makes GM's Iron Duke 2.5l engine seem like it is one of the most smoothest engines. It seems to be running great with no misfires or other issues just that it is not so smooth. It is a nice car for what it is and what it cost me.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some instrument cluster lights I purchased these Light Bulb 12V 3W w/ Base
My 240 had the same issue.. no lights.. when i bought it. My engine doesn't really run smooth either I suppose... I have grown used to it though. Doesnt seem to be a big deal. I hope the light bulbs suit your needs!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the reply

Yup that is the bulbs I am looking for. Sadly I needed them now(something about a long drive home in the dark with a dark fuel gauge is not my cup of joe) I broke down and got the lights from the dealer .

Apparently only the 240's from 89-93 have these stupid Osram bulbs, the 81-88 use a 3w peanut bulb that is removable from its holder(and could be substituted for a lower wattage and dimmer bulb in a pinch(like a 194)

I will replace the other lights(i.e. the console ones) with junk yard ones since they are not as important. The cluster is easy to remove(I slid it out far enough and put the new lights in) I also taped up the red and white loose tach wire just in case i removed the cluster all the way. I want to do the tach conversion but will wait until I find the Volvo small clock/wire harness and bezel