Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Consolidating and Bringing you up to speed on my Red Rocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Consolidating and Bringing you up to speed on my Red Rocket

Last year, I got a 1996 volvo 850 turbo wagon. I love it! When i got it, it needed a new aic and maf sensor. Done and done. Then I notice it's blowing a bit of smoke when im just cruising. Mechanic said i need a new turbo. I went out and got a 16t to upgrade it (if im going to replace it might as well make it better). Installed the 16t with an OBX full exhaust to go with it. Stupid me, no stage 0. ran great for a few weeks, then starts leaking oil and spitting oil all over my back window. Thinking this was the beginning of the end, i got another engine for it. I then realized that oild AND water were coming from the head gasket area. Got a PCV kit and head gasket kit and other misc. for stage 0. Started tearing down the head and realized that there was oil leaking from dstributor. found a blown cam seal. also saw that the water leak was actually coming from a heater hose which i replaced. Installed new PCV and other stuff and added an MBC. so it ran great for the first few mins and starts to sputter, I went over everything I just did and it was supposedly right. but it still sputters. so i took out the MBC and ran the stock boost controller and no more sputter but, I STILL HAVE OIL SPITTING ON MY BACK WINDOW! WHHHYYY???

Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM

anyone? what are some reasons oil would end up on the rear window?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Running extremly rich perhaps. Or maybe you crossed up what you thought was a oil vacuum line but was actually the window washer squirter line and now every time you have to clean the back window it squirts oil instead of washer fluid!!

Seriously though I have no clue

Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 PM

LOL I wish that WAS the problem. I have been getting a fuel mixture rich code and a long term fuel trim code. but not at the same time and no check engine light. How would it runnin rich cause the stuff on the window and what might i look into in order to make it not so rich?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM

Actually after thinking about it. The only thing picking up your error codes and telling the ECU of the rich/lean (tripping your lights/error codes) would be the O2 sensors. It is possible when you had the engine replaced and you were leaking oil (or even before) it probably fouled your O2 sensors. I believe there are 2 sensors and I would start with the 1st one. Coincidently though it happends to be the most expensive one (about $100). Oil on the back window (if it is black speckles) is probably running extremly rich. Need to have someone follow you and get on the gas and into boost see if it is blowing black smoke. The turbo change could have altered the air/fuel enough that the ECU is freaking out and cannot adjust the mixture accordingly.

The only other culprit I would imagine would have been your Mass Air Sensor but you said you replaced it. This is hard to diagnose because you changed multiple things at one time. Just my thoughts. PM Tech on here or Boxpin they are very knowledgeable.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Thank you for your help man, thats wht it needed, someone to show me a diff area to look into! im gonna go clean up my o2 sensors and see what happens!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

I had this same issue with my 850. It was because of a RMS oil leak. When the seal would leak on the highway, the air moving under the car would cause the oil to travel all the way to the back of the car and then upwards. This cause the oil droplets to stick to the back window.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

I just went out to poke around the car. I backed it into the garage to put it on ramps and noticed the exhaust spit oil all over the wall. Def some oil in exhaust, also noticed a serious looking oil leak. I checked it out and its coming from the oil return line on the turbo where it goes into oilpan. that seems like an easy enough fix. what about evap cannisters and such? whats their purpose and they can make you run rich right?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Dont get confused with the normal carbon/water spray that comes from a tailpipe with oil. Most likely the oil is coming from the engine and making its way to the rear where air currents float it around on the back of the car.

Update: I see by your previous post that you have found it. Yes, its an easy fix, new O ring and an allen wrench. Its a common failure point.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM

hey check this out, this is it in acceleration, what do you guys think about the smoke? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vCOt7-rGIg

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks kind of like carbon from running rich. But hard to tell from the vid.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I could actually see smoke in the video. Seems like it's pulling good and hard.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Well it appears to be running rich but this is actually kind of normal when you are under this hard of acceleration. At the Very end though it almost had a hint of Blue smoke. The car was a little far away so can't be certain. Seems to be pulling good though. Get someone to follow you on the road and get on it and into boost...have them video tape the rear exhaust pipe...try to get a close up shot.

If it is indeed blue smoke and this would certainly cause the oil to get on the back window it could be burning oil? When you replaced the motor did you go through it and rebuild it? Do you run low on oil between oil changes? If the drain plug is leaking this could be the cause of the smoke as well if it is getting to the inside of the exhaust. Not to cause alarm becasue it does not look bad at all from the previous video...just somewhat of an annoyance having to clean the glass all the time.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! Today I got the new seals for the turbo oil outlet. I stopped all the leaks under the car and the oil has not come back to my window! Not to mention the car runs like a dream. I'm so stoked! still a lil rich though. I did pull my o2 sensors and clean them but that was it. Didn't notice too much of a diff after doing that. Now I have some interior things to do, need some paint and suspension stuff and I'll be temporarily appeased!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by garlendrix
Thanks everyone for your help! Today I got the new seals for the turbo oil outlet. I stopped all the leaks under the car and the oil has not come back to my window! Not to mention the car runs like a dream. I'm so stoked! still a lil rich though. I did pull my o2 sensors and clean them but that was it. Didn't notice too much of a diff after doing that. Now I have some interior things to do, need some paint and suspension stuff and I'll be temporarily appeased!
well alright glad it fixed your problem. Now it is time for the IPD or similiar ECU upgrade

Old 09-22-2010, 03:43 PM

So it's been a few days, a few street races and The Red Rocket is running GREAT! No more oily rear gate, plenty of power, sounds great, *sigh* I could go on all day about why I love this car! Oh yeah, added a tiny prancing moose sticker behind the front wheels below belt line, I think it looks pretty cool!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Where did you get the moose sticky? Pic?

Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 PM

I got the stickers at http://www.davebarton.com/. I will have some pics up sometime next week (Gotta get my camera back from a friend).

Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 PM

Well, I have some pics and I feel dumb for saying this but, I can't figure out how to post them...

Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can try to upload then to the forum and post them or use a photo site to host them.
I use photobucket for mine.

Quick Reply: Consolidating and Bringing you up to speed on my Red Rocket