Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

In a conundrum with 97 850

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a conundrum with 97 850

Hey guys,
A while ago now I cracked the transmission case in my 97 850. I was getting my 94 at the time and never got around to fixing it. It has been sitting since and is starting to be an issue. I am planning on sealing the case regardless, but I don't know if I should then sell the car as is, or spend some money and do the maintenance and try to get more. It needs a timing belt done and the pcv is puffing out a lil smoke. I don't want to screw someone over and not tell them, but I don't want to get nothing for the car, Its an NA so not too valuable, in rough shape. On one hand I don't want to spend more than what I can get for it BUT I don't want someone to buy it, beat it, and then junk it soon because it was completely reliable to me. I know I will never recoup all costs, but I don't want to lose my shirt in the deal.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

By your own words it's in rough shape and the transmission case is cracked. There isn't going to be a whole lot of $$$ there to worry about. You said it was reliable so be comforted that you already have your moneys worth out of it and anything you get is "free".

A lot depends on where it's cracked and how well you can seal it. If you sell it I highly recommend you let any potential new owner know of any questionable repairs or modifications you've done. You may get less money but you won't have angry phone calls demanding a refund, a part of the car thrown through your window at midnight or some nut job with a gun at your door thinking you've screwed him and ruined his life. It's not worth taking a chance with the lack of stability in people out there now a days.

Or list it for parts because the trans is cracked but might be fixable. Let the buyer do the fixing. Again, less money up front buy little to no chance someone comes back after you later.

For me , , , full disclosure is the easiest as the person buying knows fully what they are getting into.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

How much do you want for that $300 car?

Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

"I know I will never recoup all costs" Means it's not in your best interest to take that action. So don't.

Financially, you have to think of yourself.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 PM

lol RSPI if i decide for sure to sell it you'll be the first to know. and kiss, i definitely dont want to have anyone like that, thats why i wouldn't sell it to a close friend because i know she wouldn't do the maintenance and then its days would be numbered, i guess its not in too awful shape but not pristine. honestly i dont want to sell it but its sitting in the driveway so it might come to it if i dont get it fixed. i considered dropping the transmission and having my step brother weld it, but its hard while im at school

Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97black850
lol RSPI if i decide for sure to sell it you'll be the first to know. and kiss, i definitely dont want to have anyone like that, thats why i wouldn't sell it to a close friend because i know she wouldn't do the maintenance and then its days would be numbered, i guess its not in too awful shape but not pristine. honestly i dont want to sell it but its sitting in the driveway so it might come to it if i dont get it fixed. i considered dropping the transmission and having my step brother weld it, but its hard while im at school
RSPI wasn't kidding; at this point in its life it's a project or parts cars; at best you'll get $300-500 for it. When you consider the mileage, the condition, and that it's a N/A (man, it's not even a wagon!), it's just not desirable car for anyone.

I am in the same boat w/my '95; pulling parts off of it that I want and can use, then driving it to the JY. I called a few of them just to gauge interest; they won't even call me back..

Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 PM

no i understand its not worth much, i was more laughing at his bluntness. i would rather see someone like rspi get it who will fix it, within reason, instead of aimlessly running it into the ground

Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, I have had people TRY to give me NA sedans, I actually passed. I might take on a turbo, especially wagon. As for a NA sedan, it would have to be real clean for me to touch it.

Take the clean trade in value and start reducing the cost (shop cost) of needed repairs and maintenance and that leaves my value. If it's upside down, I can't afford to touch it. I recently picked up a R sedan for $280. Really had to talk myself into not picking it clean and junking it. Several of my buddies wanted it so I saved it. The interior was nice and a local junk yard had matching hood & finder. It will be back on the road Saturday (if it's not already).

Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM

well in excellent condition its 1600 according to kbb on trade in, so im thinking it would not be worth it. i found someone who could swap the transmission for 400, but i dont wanna pay that for a car ill probably have to get rid of. take into consideration that it needs the timing belt done and maybe the pcv and its cutting it close

Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

So sell it for $500 to somebody that likes to work on cars. When it quits, they can part it out, but that might not be for a long time.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM

i probably will. just need to find someone willing to put in the work

Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't agree with your thinking.

When you buy a used vehicle you have to know it's going to need work. For some people it's a matter of driving it into the ground but for others it's a matter of repairing something they like compared to going out and buying another used car that might break in the same way later that week.

If you take the transmission, timing belt and PCV money and try to go find a used car for that how good a car do you think you'll find

If I went by that logic I would have had to buy my 850 and take it straight to the bone yard.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 PM

Wait, Kiss Im confused by what you are saying?