Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Converting radiator shroud to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Converting radiator shroud to turbo

So the build on my car has gotten funds

Replaced radiator, no leaks.

I was looking at the shroud i got and it didn't please me with the differences so here's what to do.

I started just eyeballing them and you'll need a dremel, a drill bit, white chalk works pretty good, *eye protection* maybe some sleeves unless you enjoy burning plastic, bit for the radiator fan screws. probably like t-17 or t-25.

You want a sanding wheel that won't heat up and break... lol *eye protection*
start by making two cuts at each of the rubber nipples on the inside of shroud/flaps.
That way you can get the rubber flaps out of the shroud without ripping the rubber.
Just keeping melting through plastic slowly, you'll know when you touch the rubber, because it will smoke a lot.

Once out just try to match the placement from the original shroud. Chalk it, start drilling, start small. you can always go bigger.

Heres where it gets tricky.

Trying to cut straight lines, you can just mark around where the flap should be vented, and then go in 12.7 mm (love those sweds. lol)
Burning plastic should be shooting off straight from the sanding wheel, so cut at an angle from yourself.

Don't worry about the plastic melting back over the cuts and getting everywhere its brittle when it cools, comes right off.

Just keep at it.
And just to make a point pictures are received much better than...
"Theres some kind of white smoke coming from the back my engine?"

And BLAM, can't even tell it wasn't made that way.
Just switch the fans and your good. while i had my fan out, i cleaned and oiled it. Not bad idea. I must have got an old turbo shroud because it was cut to fit the intercooler piping. So if yours truly isn't a turbo shroud, you'll have to match the indent and cut there too.
Good luck