Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Cool tips - Cheap tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool tips - Cheap tricks

I do a lot of little things to save money on my car expenses. I just thought I would list a few here. I also have a gut feeling that many of you also this do but not mention it. This category are might even make a good sticky for everyone to contribute their own gems of insight !
Here are three:
  1. Window de-icer: Do not buy the cans for two reasons: They cannot be refilled and the cans seemed to lose air pressure if left in the car on cold winter nights. Buy it in a spray pump bottle, and re-fill it from a gallon jug of windshield washer de-icer. One gallon may cost you twice a much as a can but it will last you for years!
  2. Refinish your headlight assembly: You can buy a kit to do this for approx $ 20.00, but you may already have what you need in your garage. I got this tip from YouTube and it worked for me. Use rubbing compound (with water) to clean up the lenses. I used the heavy duty rubbing compound first, washed it off, then used the polishing compound second. I washed this off and then waxed over the headlight assembly with Turtle wax - Super Hard Shell paste wax. The reason I chose this wax is because is contains no petroleum distillates ! Petroleum distillates are not good for plastic. Turtle Wax is silicone based - not petroleum based. I called the Turtle Wax toll free number to find this out.
  3. Buy on sale before you need it: I always visit the auto supply aisle in the stores to pick up bargains. Here are a few examples: Wal-Mart: I picked up two gallons of Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic in 2009. The cost Was $20.00 each on sale with a $15.00 cash rebate. That made the net cost $5.00 each. I can use it or if I re-sell it my next two oil changes will be for free. BIG LOTS store: Windshield wiper assemblies $2.50 each. One would be a fool to walk out without at least four. I always buy my window de-icer in the springtime when it goes on sale (see item #1 above). Wal-Mart: 1 gallon of Preston Coolant full strength. Cost $12.00 each - with a $7.00 cash rebate. This will make two gallons of coolant = cost $2.50 each. Of course I will use only distilled water, so add cost $ .88 cents.
I am certain that others in these forums have lot of tips that we would all love to know. I look forward to your gems of advice !

Last edited by NCdad; 11-19-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tips. If I might add on the de-icer, I am in no way a pro in this area since where I live it does not snow. But, on cold icey mornings I have found that Rain-X works great as it does not let ice stick to the window in the first place. It pushes right off.

+1 on #3. I went to Kragen yesterday and found Mobil1 for $19(5q) so I stocked up.