Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Coolant Leak + Jammed Keyhole

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak + Jammed Keyhole

I have a 96 850 Wagon, and recently (past month) my coolant started to leak. It was very little and I would only fill it once a week right when the light would come on, so I didn't use much. Now it seems I'm filling it every other day. I tried to see from where it's leaking from, and there are two spots under the car on my driveway a foot apart, one would be located where the coolant tank is, and the other under the radiator, and everything seemed to be covered in coolant, so I could not locate the leak.

In October I took a road trip, so I did a lot of driving, and near the end of the road trip is when the coolant light first came on. I'm starting to expect it could be worst case scenario and may be the radiator instead of just a leaky hose.

Also, my keyhole recently decided not to accept my key. It goes in 4/5ths of the way on the driver side.

Thoughts?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM

As for the coolant leak, I suppose you could just go though and check all the hoses if you've got the time, and is your key maybe bent?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 AM

The coolant leak was due to a very small crack in the reservoir tank near where the hose connects, which was dripping down the hoses and getting on everything. I'll be ordering a new tank and the hoses that connect. Hopefully that's the only problem.

As for the keyhole, the key is in perfect shape. I have to lock my car with the passenger side door. Today I was trying to pull that key piece out according to the Haynes manual, and now whatever I did the key will not go in at all. I was able to get a look at the inside and it seems that maybe a spring got loose, and is now blocking the key from entering.

The problem is that according to the Haynes manual I have to stick the key in all the way, and push a spring in the side of the door that would let the keyhole mechanism come out, but since I could not fully get the key in I could not remove it, and it seems that I might have to take the interior panel off to remove it to have it replaced.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 PM

I am having a radiator issue also. My coolant is bubbling in the tank. What should I do? Also after i turn off my volvo s80 there is a humming noise. If I step in the car and press the brake it stops. after i release it... there it goes again