Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Disc jammed in CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc jammed in CD changer

Hi,

The cartrige of my CD changer wont eject. When the CD button on the radio is pressed it shows an error code E -01.

I pulled the main cover off the CD changer and sure enough I could see a disc in the cartridge. After trying everything I could think of the disc was still firmly embedded in the cartridge.

It looks like the only way I can get the disc out is to break it somehow (I don't even know if this is possible given the very limited accessability) and then try and carefully extract the pieces out through the area where the CD plays.

I would imagine there is a laser head in the general vicinity of where I would be trying to remove the broken/smashed CD (i.e. if I am successful) and this frightens me a bit.

Any other suggestions or ideas about how to remove a stuck CD would be really appreciated.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Default RE: Disc jammed in CD changer

Have you tried this?

https://volvoforums.com/m_20518/tm.htm

I have fixed other problems by unplugging the interface from the rear of the radio head unit, leaving it for about 15minutes and plugging it back in.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure the Changer has power going to it.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:40 PM

Sorry about the delay in getting back to report on progress.

It seemed the whole problem was a CD put in wrong way up which appears to have defeated the auto change/eject mechanism.

I pulled the CD changed cover off once again and, with the aid of a pair of surgical tweezers, carefully broke up the offending disc into small pieces and then shook/pulled the broken pieces out (no loss as it was only Eminem).

To be on the safe side I made up a broad flat tool out of previously heated laminated plastic sheet (now very stiff) that I could slide under the cartridge to manually depress the eject latch if the cartridge jammed again.

I put CD player back in wagon and it worked perfectly - I didn't know an incorrectly inserted disc could cause this much trouble.

FOOTNOTE CAUTION
As it was a beautiful day I decided to keep on going and give the wagon a bit of a spring clean while listening to the newly refurbished CD player (note: all discs in right way up). The sound was absolutely wonderful. After about four hours I finished what I was doing, packed up and discovered the battery had gone nearly dead flat. CD players must be able to drag a bit of power to do that.