Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Coolant mess

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant mess

I own a 96' 850 turbo. 2 days ago i was driving when i noticed smoke coming from the passenger side of the hood. I pulled to the nearest parking lot and popped the hood to find that i had no coolant in my reservoir. Yet, the missing coolant seemed to be spewed out all around the reservoir. I filled the reservoir with warm watter and then attempted to make the 2 mile drive home. However, the temp gauge quickly went right back up. Not sure if its a water pump or if its a thermo. if anyone could give me a few pointers , tips, suggestions on what it could be or what to do.

thx
Kyle

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coolant mess

Hello Red850turbo,

There was a bulletin about changing the coolant tank capfrom the original grey to the newer green one.

I did this as the grey one Ihad developed cracks around the top and the car would over heat.

The cooling system needs to pressurized to function properly. Raises the boiling point of the coolant to keep engine heat in check.

Is your cap the original grey?

Have you since checked the coolant tank for cracks? Over heating can bulge the tank.

Check them both, take and post some pics and we can go from there.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM

thank you for your help about the lids, however i do have the green lid. I just filled the coolant res. again completly full . The temp guage was right in the middle of the gauge at first at an idle. After driving about 2 miles at no faster then 35-40 in a subdivision it went up to about 1/8 inch from the red on temp gauge. The car drove and sounded fine thinking maybe nothing really is wrong but im still gonna get it checked but gimme some time and ill get some pics up and then we can talk about what u see and what u think that it could possibly be.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Red850turbo,

I forgot to ask you. Are you sure that your cooling fan is working?

I ask because I recently had another issue with over heating and it turned out thatmy coolingfan was done. Just age. As long as it was cool out I would have no trouble, but stop and go traffic used to scare the hell out of me.

I had to replace an engine at the beginning of the year (expensive Christmas)due to a water pump bearing failure which seized andsnapped the timing belt and caused massive damage to the head and pistons.

Picked up a [new to me] fanfor $125CDN and had it in the car in fifteen minutes. I hooked it up to a switch on the dash so now I know that Ill not have a cooling problem again.

When you get a chance run your Brick and see if it comes on. If not then this could be your problem.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM

I am having the same problem with my 99 S80 right now. I have had some say its the head gasket but I dont undrstand how this could be with no white smoke or milky oil... I dont know if it is exactly the same problem but mine seems to completely fill the resivoir and leak from the cap when the engine gets hot then drain the resivoir into the engine after it cools. Please let me know if you find the answer.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally:

- Thermostat either stuck closed or stuck at full open (if the thermo is stuck at full open, the coolant does not have enough time to dissipate heat in the radiator because it's rushing so fast).
- As already mentioned by QB, failed cooling fan. Check the fuse first.
- Faulty temp switch not telling the fan to turn.
- Ignition timing out of spec (unlikely in modern cars as the timing is controlled by the ECU).

I would first check the thermostat, cooling fan/its fuse then have the system pressure-tested for possible leaks. If anyone suspects blown head gasket, pressure-test the cooling system or have the compression test done.

JPN