Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Crankshaft Lockup

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Lockup

Greetings!

I did a search and couldn't find this topic, so here goes.

First off I have a 93 850 GLT (2.4 4spd non-turbo). While installing some new cam followers (lifters/tappets/what have you), I was being distracted by the "other half" and accidently swaped cams (intake in exhaust visa versa). I re-assembled the top of the motor, put the timing gears on (in the correct place so you can already see where this is going). Lined up the timing marks, put on the timing belt, finished the assembly and fired it up. It turned over a couple times and the popped and spit. I immediately stopped and did an inspection. Took about 20 min and finally realized what I had done! I disassembled the top of the motor pulled the cams out. I pulled the followers out and everything looked OK. The problem is; when I put a wrench on the crank to bring the motor to TDC on #1, I can only turn the crank 2-3 inches either way. I seems to be locking up at either end of the small stroke that I can turn it. It turns smoothly but it locks up hard and I can hear a kind of "clunk" when it stops. Did I break or bend something internally? There is nothing connected to the drivetrain. so it has to be somewhere in the crank/block. I know some pistons will hit a valve if it comes up when the valve timing is off. Will the piston hit the valves in the 2.4?

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Feel free to grill me for more info if needed!

Rodney

Old 06-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Crankshaft Lockup

Sounds like you bent some Valves.The cams are different between exhaust and intake so the valves might have hit while you were trying to start it.

Did you put the cams back in yet?
If so then they just might not be set properly.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:54 PM

Thanks Tech!

Here's the kicker; I have not re-assembled the top of the head yet. No cams, followers, or spark plugs. the timing belt is disconnected also. Do you think that I could have broken a piston rod? Could hitting a valve do that in only a couple turns? Would you recommend me pulling the head off? That might just be a perfect job for the "other half" Is there anything I need to watch out for when pulling the head?(I have never had one off the 2.4)

thanks

Rodney

BTW I have never before seen a forum where one person took so much on themselves! Thank you very much for the dedication you have to these cars!

Old 06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Pulling the head off is pretty straight foward.Make sure you drain the coolant.
There is suppsed to be a spacial tool to line up the cams when removing and installing them.It hooks on the end of the cams on the dist side.There is also supposed to be a special tool to install the Valve cover.
I do suspect that you did bend a Valve.I don't think you did any piston damage.They very rarely have piston damage.If the valves are bent and you are going to have the head repaired make sure that you find somone that knows the Volvo aluminum heads.
While tightening the head bolts you will need an angle guage.You will have to go 90 degrees after tightening to the specific torque first.

If you have anymore quiestions feel free to ask.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:34 PM

Well....

I found my problem. 6 broken exhaust valves. (picture below)

I would like to take this opportunity to remind all of you out there.... mow your lawn BEFORE the wife starts nagging! This was one expensive reminder LOL!

Luckily the damage to the head is nothing a little brush up with a dremel can't fix. Anyone in the Pacific NW have any exhaust valves they want to unload?

BTW are there any good mods for this motor (2.4 non-turbo) while I have the head off?

Rodney

[IMG]local://upfiles/2350/714236068A144A1283B3A103AA917AE9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

OUCH[sm=devilgrin.gif][sm=headbang.gif]. The cams were definitly off.
When the timing belt breaks it usually takes out the intake valves!!

See if you can get ahold of a set of cams.I have heard they can be found.
I didn't see them on my sites but try searching for a set.

If you know how to port and polish it wouldn't hurt either.

Im trying to learn to do it to my Mustang heads.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:50 AM

OUCH is right!

Just did a VERY close inspection and it turns out that there was a strike in between the valve seats in #3. It moved just enough aluminum to put the seats and combustion chamber out of round. Looks like I need the whole bottom half. If anyone has one lying around I would be happy to take it off their hands! I just need the bottom half with valves. I have cams/followers. I have springs and keepers too if needed. I just need the lower head and valves.

Rodney

Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 PM

Got one!!!

Local wrecing yard (pick-A-Part in Olympia, WA). Took it off a running totaled 850. Only $45 for the entire top end, cams/head/cover!

Lots of parts left on the car if anyone is in this area (was hit in the rear). I did take the center console switches while I was at it though, $8 couldn't pass that up!

Let the polishing begin!!

Rodney

Old 06-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Congrats keep us posted on the progress.
Just remember when porting the head is aluminum and will cut fast.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM

i need head bolts torque and valve cover bolts torque for a 1998 v-70 turbo please

Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youi might have spun a bearing - i did and it was a b i t c h to turn over by hand