Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Crossroads Volvo 850r - Keep or Not

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Crossroads Volvo 850r - Keep or Not

Hello,

I am a very proud and lucky owner of a 1997 red Volvo 850R. Unfortunately I was loved tapped by a hummer a couple days ago; the hood, both headlights, right turn signal, passenger fender, core support, grill, and right grill filler was destroyed. Geico has come back and told me they want to total it.
Geico will pay $4,200 for my car.
Salvage fee - $500
Car plus repair reimbursement to repair it: $3,700
Kelly Blue Book on my car is: 4,017 in "Good" condition
Buying the parts used from Keystone at price costs - $1,100
The car has 149,000 miles on it, it’s in generally good condition. It is in need of another PCV replacement which I have done once before and an overall high mile maintenance go through. The fuel economy in the car is pretty bad. I am not sure what to do with the car, keep it and fix it up, fix it up and sell it, or take the check.

I love the car, I know it’s rare and I would hate to lose it but I am also worried about the price of repairs and the poor fuel economy.

Suggestions?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by izinux
Hello,

I am a very proud and lucky owner of a 1997 red Volvo 850R. Unfortunately I was loved tapped by a hummer a couple days ago; the hood, both headlights, right turn signal, passenger fender, core support, grill, and right grill filler was destroyed. Geico has come back and told me they want to total it.
Geico will pay $4,200 for my car.
Salvage fee - $500
Car plus repair reimbursement to repair it: $3,700
Kelly Blue Book on my car is: 4,017 in "Good" condition
Buying the parts used from Keystone at price costs - $1,100
The car has 149,000 miles on it, it’s in generally good condition. It is in need of another PCV replacement which I have done once before and an overall high mile maintenance go through. The fuel economy in the car is pretty bad. I am not sure what to do with the car, keep it and fix it up, fix it up and sell it, or take the check.

I love the car, I know it’s rare and I would hate to lose it but I am also worried about the price of repairs and the poor fuel economy.

Suggestions?

Realistically, its up to you to make the decision Personally, if I were in your situation I'd total the car, buy it back from the insurance company and take the $3700 check, buy the parts from a self pull junkyard to fix it myself for waaaay less than Keystone wants, and pocket the other $2500+, using it to fix any other issues on the car. However I feel comfortable doing the work myself, perhaps not so much for you This also depends on how bad the damage really is.

That $500 salvage fee, is that your insurance deductible? If not, I would seriously question that charge...

First thing I would suggest doing in this instance (with any car for that matter) is to get an independent estimate on what it would be to fix the car. Go to 10 different body shops and get ***written*** estimates on what the cost to repair it would be. Then contact Geico with these estimates. From this you have a leg to stand on if you decide you'd like to take the hard line and make them fix the car.

How you proceed from here is up to you And hey, look on the bright side: It took a vehicle 3x the size of your Volvo to total it These things are tanks after all

Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM

I'm not sure where you're located, so that may play into the calculations...

I have a White 97 850R wagon.

I frequent the nearest pull a part yards, nearest one is about 100 miles in one direction.

Finding white panels isn't tough. There's been a white 96 or 97 wagon every time I've gone. Haven't needed to buy any body panels, thankfully, but they aren't that expensive there. Not sure I've ever seen a red one, though..

With some searching, I bet you could pick up all the parts you mention well under $500.

Is this a repair job you'd want to tackle yourself, or is it something you'd need to hire someone to do?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on how handy you are. Sounds like you could keep the car, fix it up and have it in better condition then before the "accident" without being out of pocket.

If you do chose to let er go you might want to give someone here a shot at it. At least that way someone might save it and keep it on the road rather than parting it out at a yard

Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 97-850Wagen
Realistically, its up to you to make the decision Personally, if I were in your situation I'd total the car, buy it back from the insurance company and take the $3700 check, buy the parts from a self pull junkyard to fix it myself for waaaay less than Keystone wants, and pocket the other $2500+, using it to fix any other issues on the car. However I feel comfortable doing the work myself, perhaps not so much for you This also depends on how bad the damage really is.

That $500 salvage fee, is that your insurance deductible? If not, I would seriously question that charge...

First thing I would suggest doing in this instance (with any car for that matter) is to get an independent estimate on what it would be to fix the car. Go to 10 different body shops and get ***written*** estimates on what the cost to repair it would be. Then contact Geico with these estimates. From this you have a leg to stand on if you decide you'd like to take the hard line and make them fix the car.

How you proceed from here is up to you And hey, look on the bright side: It took a vehicle 3x the size of your Volvo to total it These things are tanks after all
Thank you for your input, I really appericiate it! I am comfortable repairing it but I would need someone else to repaint the parts.

Regarding the $500 fee is for the title.

I have a great body guy. The only reason I am hesitant about keeping it is because of the poor gas milage and the signs of some pricy repairs but its a car soo....

Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Depends on how handy you are. Sounds like you could keep the car, fix it up and have it in better condition then before the "accident" without being out of pocket.

If you do chose to let er go you might want to give someone here a shot at it. At least that way someone might save it and keep it on the road rather than parting it out at a yard

Thank you for your input as well!! I totally agree with you, if I dont keep it I cant let her go to a junk yard. Shes a beautiful car and I love her to death but I want to be practical and I am worried the maintance coming up will be pretty high.

I think I could probably get some of the parts at pick and pull and cut the price down to like $800.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by johnwartr
I'm not sure where you're located, so that may play into the calculations...

I have a White 97 850R wagon.

I frequent the nearest pull a part yards, nearest one is about 100 miles in one direction.

Finding white panels isn't tough. There's been a white 96 or 97 wagon every time I've gone. Haven't needed to buy any body panels, thankfully, but they aren't that expensive there. Not sure I've ever seen a red one, though..

With some searching, I bet you could pick up all the parts you mention well under $500.

Is this a repair job you'd want to tackle yourself, or is it something you'd need to hire someone to do?
Thank you for your advice I really appericiate it! I think I can cut the price down to $800 and I most certainly can replace them but I would take it to a body guy I know and have it painted. How many miles are on your 850R ? I am thinking the turbo and tranny are going to need a rebuild soon and the suspention is getting a tad loose

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well they're not making any more of these you know; I mean what would you replace it with? As long as it's repairable (w/your sweat equity) for couple of grand or less, I would go for it.

So how bad was your mileage? Have you done a compression test recently? If the engine is in need of an OH then that may weigh on your decision. But poor mileage could be caused by lots of things; even a bad thermostat ($15 part).

Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Thank you for your input as well!! I totally agree with you, if I dont keep it I cant let her go to a junk yard. Shes a beautiful car and I love her to death but I want to be practical and I am worried the maintance coming up will be pretty high.

I think I could probably get some of the parts at pick and pull and cut the price down to like $800.

Certainly should be able to get it even cheaper depending on where you are located...Most of that stuff around here goes for $25-$30 each. Hell, my local yard only wants $35-$40 for the hood, and $27.50 for the fender...And theres about 6-7 850's in the yard right now as I type, almost complete cars (they have everything you'd need to fix this R)...And thats just the 850s...don't get me started on the V/S 70s up there lol That same exact marker light you need I just replaced myself from this same yard for $12 (just to give ya an idea )

Paint wise? Take it to Maaco or some other equivalent. Personally I don't worry too much about the looks of the car, so long as its functional. Looks can always be fixed later down the line. If this is your daily driver and only vehicle, I'd worry more about just getting it roadworthy again.

As for that $500 title fee, I'd seriously question that. Again, it depends on where you are located, but around here a title transfer at a private notary runs $75-$125 MAX. Sounds like Geico is trying to take you to the cleaners IMHO...

Tell ya what, if you decide you want to keep it, send me a PM. The weather is still pretty nice here and I have all sorts of free time due to this crap economy, I could probably spend an afternoon in the junkyard pulling some of this stuff for ya, so long as you cover cost plus shipping.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here is some encouragement. I have done this three times over the years. All three cost me around $500.

Backed into at a stop sign:

Name:  Picture017.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  145.4 KB

After: (Hood painted in driveway)

Name:  P5050034.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  122.4 KB

This one was my fault:

Name:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  95.3 KB

Repair:

Name:  IMG_0740.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0736.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  201.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0732.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  109.6 KB

All the new parts back on:

Name:  IMG_0752.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  129.1 KB

Hood getting sanded:

Name:  490e71ce.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  80.1 KB

Primered:

Name:  37761092.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  8787b9a8.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  69.2 KB

Done:

Name:  4d6d8bb7.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  35.4 KB

Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Thank you for your advice I really appericiate it! I think I can cut the price down to $800 and I most certainly can replace them but I would take it to a body guy I know and have it painted. How many miles are on your 850R ? I am thinking the turbo and tranny are going to need a rebuild soon and the suspention is getting a tad loose
109,xxx on the odometer
10-20k unaccounted for when the odometer was broken.
It's been in my family since it was around 1 year old with around 20k.

After sitting for a few years, it now gets driven daily and spoiled

Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Maybe I missed it but what mileage were you getting on it ??

Boxpin, what kind of mileage do you get on yours with all the mods ??

Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

The trip computer says the average is 21. I can cruise at 55 on the freeway and have it sit in the 35-36 area. 65 is 30-31 on a flat stretch of road. But, this is with the 3" MAF, the trip computer has not been accurate since I put that in. Shows great mileage but reality is about half that.

izinux, where is your location?

Last edited by boxpin; 08-29-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM

I'm getting 18.x in my 97, bone stock. I have a new front O2 sensor I need to install, and plan to do cap/rotor/wires in the near future. Hope I can get a slight improvement out of them.

Mileage isn't a big concern to me, since the car is paid for. I drive pretty spiritedly at times, which I'm sure doesn't help with economy.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM

Thank you guys for all your support and advice! Boxpin your cars damage looks just like mine. Right now I am probably looking 15 mpg around city and 20 on the freeway. However I live in Seattle Washington and most of my driving is city. I have 148,000 miles on it, I know the PCV system needs to be replaces. Has anyone had to rebuild their turbo or transmission yet?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM

You live in Seattle? Sweet, I'm across the water in Bremerton and just sold my similar red 855R after picking up a sweet-deal yellow T-5R sedan. We're ripe with parts cars on this side of the water just like Seattle, and I visit these wrecking yards A LOT. I'd suggest keeping the car, replace what needs replacing to get it roadworthy and make you happy, and then enjoy it! Shoot me a list of what you need/want, and I'll keep an eye out for you. Plus, if you want to meet more Volvo enthusiasts in person, and see more R cars in your area, there's a show in Ballard Monday. PM for info if you'd like.

Old

New

Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Administrator

That's why it's handy to post your location back in the "User CP". It pops up when you post and people might be near you that can help.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I wish I could see location etc on the mobile site.

I just pitched an R to save. Got a hood for $60, a finder for $35, and a motor for $175 (plus $110 in gas to get it). I say fix it.

Why do you think the tranny is going bad? Have you changed the fluid? Also, other cars drop trannies all the time. Unless you are planning to purchase something new you'll looking at some kind of maintenance and repairs, then, have fun with monthly payments and higher insurance.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM

I live in Seattle Washington...
Well, that changes everything. You should absolutely not consider fixing this car. What you should do is sell it to me. I'll even come up from Oly and get it, so you won't feel so sad looking at it every day.

Has anyone had to rebuild their turbo or transmission yet?
I've never done a turbo. I've had several with bearings that were worn out, allowing lots of play in the shaft. I had one that was so bad that the vanes were hitting the housing. I just replaced them with good turbos I had laying around at the time.

I just bought a turbo wagon with a trans that's slipping. I look at it as an excuse to do a 5 speed swap. If yours is bad, now is your chance too, right?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by goldponcho
You live in Seattle? Sweet, I'm across the water in Bremerton and just sold my similar red 855R after picking up a sweet-deal yellow T-5R sedan. We're ripe with parts cars on this side of the water just like Seattle, and I visit these wrecking yards A LOT. I'd suggest keeping the car, replace what needs replacing to get it roadworthy and make you happy, and then enjoy it! Shoot me a list of what you need/want, and I'll keep an eye out for you. Plus, if you want to meet more Volvo enthusiasts in person, and see more R cars in your area, there's a show in Ballard Monday. PM for info if you'd like.

Old

New
Thank you Goldponcho, I really appericiate the advice and I would love to get involved with the local volvo community! Thank you for the invite this Monday will be tough for me but another time!

Quick Reply: Crossroads Volvo 850r - Keep or Not