Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

De-pressurize for new fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default De-pressurize for new fuel filter

95 850, going to replace my fuel filter this weekend, I've read about de-pressurizing the system, What's the easy preferred method for this?

Sounds like I pull the fuel pump fuse and run it until it stalls? (will it even run without the fuel pump functioning?) Is that the right way to do it? dont want to damage anything. if I just push that little Schrader valve up on the fuel rail, does that de pressurize the whole system?

Thanks! Dave

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daver80
95 850, going to replace my fuel filter this weekend, I've read about de-pressurizing the system, What's the easy preferred method for this?

Sounds like I pull the fuel pump fuse and run it until it stalls? (will it even run without the fuel pump functioning?) Is that the right way to do it? dont want to damage anything. if I just push that little Schrader valve up on the fuel rail, does that de pressurize the whole system?

Thanks! Dave
the schrader valve will help but you will still have fuel and light pressure there. Just be ready for a bit of gas spill. There is no way you can get it off without spilling gas. There is simply fuel in the lines and filter just waiting to get out.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Default filter

Box- ok, that's cool, not like it will be the first time there have been gas fumes in the garage... dave

Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

You will be surprised how much fuel is sitting in the filter so have a container of some sort ready to toss it into.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Ahh gasoline, cleans the sinus, cleans the floor, your hands, and so much more.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
Ahh gasoline, cleans the sinus, cleans the floor, your hands, and so much more.
...and quite a cool fire. I like fire.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And ..... take the gas cap off. sometimes the tank will hold a little pressure and push the gas out when you disconnect the filter.

Oil drain pan comes in very handy and be very careful if you're doing it inside that you keep a trouble light away from any chance of getting hit with splashing fuel.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Does it matter what kind of fuel filter to use? I'm going to change mine since I recently passed 200k.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
And ..... take the gas cap off. sometimes the tank will hold a little pressure and push the gas out when you disconnect the filter.
Good plan

I have no recommendation for the filter. I think when I did mine it was a Fram.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Default fuel filter

I got my filter from FCP, I think it's a Bosch. 15 bucks or so. RSPI, mine just turned 200k last weekend. I think I've got 200,125 today. Whats your mileage?

Would it be a bad idea to (gently) tap a small hole in the old filter to drain the gas out into my drain pan after doing the Shrader and opening the gas cap? would that introduce a spark? Theres no going back if I put a hole in it... Dave

Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 AM

I don't think anyone would recommend tapping a hole in your fuel filter. That sounds like asking for a fire and trip to the burn ward.

Like everyone else has said, just have a pan ready to catch what gravity drains. I have some hose pinch pliers that I use for that sort of thing (to lose as little as possible), but your could carefully use some vice grips to do the same thing.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Administrator

I doubt putting a hole in the filter will cause a spark or fire. I would be more concerned with introducing some metal shaving into the fuel system.

The think I experienced was on the tank side of the filter, it seemed that fuel was never going to stop flowing, especially if there was a lot of gas in the tank. I would not like crimping my fuel like so I just had the other filter handy and ready to do it as fast as I could to loose as little gas as possible. You could also have something to try to plug the like, like a rubber cork. There was no pressure, just like a syphon from the line.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Default filter

Well, thought I'd ask before I popped a hole in there.

Just this morning I put $35 gas n there, I was almost empty. Should have left it and changed that filter. Didnt even think about that. well it wont take very long to use 35 bucks worth of gas. Think I'll opt for the cork trick. Dave

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I doubt putting a hole in the filter will cause a spark or fire.
Metal on metal, getting hot....if a drill is used, sparks inside it flying off the brushes just waiting for the gas fumes to reach them....

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM

I have actually NEVER had to "depresurize" the fuel system. Only time I do is when I am dignosing a run issue.

throw a rag over what you are disconnecting and have something there to catch it. maybe 24 OZ is in the filter and maybe 8 OZ comes out of the line.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Administrator

The filter housing is aluminum, I'm almost 50 years old and can't ever remember causing a spark with aluminum.

Besides that, there is absolutely no reason to put a hole in it. The filter has quick releases.

Last edited by rspi; 05-02-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: add
Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by daver80
Would it be a bad idea to (gently) tap a small hole in the old filter to drain the gas out into my drain pan after doing the Shrader and opening the gas cap? would that introduce a spark? Theres no going back if I put a hole in it... Dave
The metal used for the filter housing will vary. Not all manufacturers use aluminum. Anyway the idea is to release the pressure so you're not sprayed with it. You have no control over where it's going to go punching a hole in it. Drape a rag over it and you know it's going to drip down into your drain pan, easy. In most cases there isn't much if any pressure there it's just a matter of us warning someone new in case their fuel system is in great shape and the check valves really do hold enough to give you a squirt like a squirt gun. Even on a good system I thing one shot from a squirt gun is more volume. But I digress !!
I just wouldn't bother with punching a hole in it. If you don't use the schrader valve on the fuel rail to release the pressure you can still pretty much control the discharge buy just slowly pulling the hose off the filter. You just want to be aware it may spray a little bit, there might be a little residual pressure in the line and you surely will have some fuel dripping or running out of the line when you finally do separate the line from the filter. How much will depend on a lot of things like angle of the car, temperature (pressure in tank) and your speed of placing the new filter back in. I'd break both sides loose before you open either end so it's quicker to replace. Then remove the tank side first as usually that is the side you'll get the most fuel leaking from and if you put the new filter in, it will start to fill and hold some fuel while you put the engine side on. Best thing is have a drain pan handy, drape a rag over the joint when you first try to separate the line so it catches any spray. Just drape, don't wrap as you'll want to get it out of the way quickly and have the replacement filter right there and ready to place into the line and your fuel loss will be minimal. If you haven't done one before I'd recommend safety glasses and even if you have they are a good idea just in case.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-02-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM

wow everyone here is over analyzing this.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere
wow everyone here is over analyzing this.
You're right, but they should be. Someone who suggests poking a hole in a "gas can" has to hear from those with experience. Work smart, work safe.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:32 AM

ahh brings me back to the Videos of "Safety Sam" in school when I was taking wood working class.

Quick Reply: De-pressurize for new fuel filter