Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Did I install the fuel pump wrong? Runs bad.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I install the fuel pump wrong? Runs bad.

Hey guys. Original problem: car just wouldn't start one day. A guy here told me to whack the bottom of the gas tank with a hammer and see if the car started afterward. That actually worked, indicating the problem was a bad fuel pump.

So I just replaced the fuel pump today and the car started the first try!

Only trouble is, I began driving down the street and the car wanted to die. It would rev to about 3,000 RPM and then totally lose power like the fuel had been cut or something. I barely made it back home. Note: the car was running perfectly before the day it would not start.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe I did something wrong installing the new fuel pump. Seems like it would either work or not work. Hmm...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Default turbo vs non turbo

I'm sure you checked / fuel pump relay / and the parts store to make sure the turbo / non turbo fuel pump is the same? Also I had very bad luck with off the shelf aftermarket fuel pumps and wound up getting an original equipment Volvo pump after trying 3 different aftermarket P.O.S. units!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

1.Did you also change the fuel filter?
2.Did you put it back in about the same position as you took it out?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 PM

The new fuel filter is shorter than the original. The instructions said not to be alarmed and that it was no big deal. So the fuel pump sits down lower in the plastic cradle than the original fuel pump (closer to the gas). I wasn't too happy about the way it sat in the plastic cradle but it did not appear to be too bizarre either. I'm going to take it out and check everything again. Gets dark too early where I live. Already getting dark and it's not even 3:30 pm. Argh.

Anyhoo... I just replaced the fuel filter (triple checking that I installed it correctly) and now my car won't start at all. Like is is getting zero gas. Cranks like crazy but won't fire. And it did start just fine prior to installing the new filter. Sheesh. I can't catch a break here.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

After doing the fuel filter did you make sure the system primed again?
Maybe the new pump is to close to the tank and causing issues.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 AM

The new fuel filter is shorter than the original.
Correction: I meant the new fuel PUMP is shorter than the original. I don't think it's possible the way it is designed, for the fuel pump to sit closer to the tank. The only thing I am unsure of is which direction the little white filter you pop onto the bottom of the fuel pump was suppsed to point (to the left/right/front/or back). I forgot to note the direction of the original fuel pump's filter. But, the new fuel pump seemed to slip back into the tank okay after I installed it in the plastic cradle.

About the priming before starting (after replacing the fuel FILTER). No, I did not do that. There was nothing about 'priming' in either my Hanes or Chilton manual. Only after the car would not start did I notice comments online about turning the key to the on position (position just before the start position) for 30 seconds, then off. Then repeat that a few times to get the fuel pump to send gas down through the new fuel filter. So I guess I dry cranked it or whatever it's called accidentally quite a few times before trying to prime it. Stupid manuals! Well, after all of this one thing I did (or did not notice) was any sound coming from my new fuel pump. As I want to pull it out again and recheck everything that's just another reason to do so.

Note of interest: I found it very ODD that the electrical connections for the fuel pump are actually submersed in gasoline. Maybe I'm just an auto noob but as an electrician's apprentice for 2 years that seemed wrong on so many levels.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 AM

The fuel pump I bought was 'Hella' brand for $117.90. I opted not to go for the cheapest fuel pump which was 'Replacement' brand for $95.17. I really don't know if the Hella fuel pump is rated for 'turbo' but I did select turbo when searching for the pump, so it is supposed to be a turbo pump.

HELLA FUEL PUMP KIT

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mm...ump~parts.html

Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

It looks exactly like the one we sell for 88.78.

Here is the link to the pump.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Hey, that's really awesome. The savings on your Hella pump will almost (but not quite) make up for the fact that you charge $49 more for your Fuel Pump Assembly at $399.99 than Auto Parts Warehouse.

If you had said 'we sell that Hella pump and yes it works on a 94 850 turbo' that would have been useful information.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Squiggy
Hey, that's really awesome. The savings on your Hella pump will almost (but not quite) make up for the fact that you charge $49 more for your Fuel Pump Assembly at $399.99 than Auto Parts Warehouse.

If you had said 'we sell that Hella pump and yes it works on a 94 850 turbo' that would have been useful information.
Attitude = not helpful.

Fuel delivery specs for turbo and non-turbo are exactly they same. Must provide enough pressure to keep the fuel rail at 43.5psi and flow 1 liter per minute. The Hella pump doesn't care that your car is a turbo.

Hopefully you changed your fuel filter (not the one on the pump, the one under the car by the rear passenger tire). Checking your fuel preasure at the rail will tell you how the new pump is doing. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge you could also take a piece of hose from the pump outlet to an empty gas can, wire the pump to the battery and let her go, if it isn't pumping at 1 liter per min you got a bad pump.

If all that checks you might be having other issues. Oh, and a proper fuel pressure gauge with a pressure release port can help you safely get all the air out of your fuel system.