Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Does timing have to be perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does timing have to be perfect?

Hey all, I just want to say you have been great in answering all my questions so far. So here is another one...

I changed my head gasket and finally got the engine back together. It won't start and I am not getting any codes. I am getting spark and fuel, and the engine cranks over. I figured I got the timing wrong when putting it back together. Crank sprocket is lined up at TDC on the power stroke. Camshafts are correctly positioned in accordance to their rear slots and front sprocket bolt holes.

So...If I am a couple gear teeth off, will the engine still refuse to start?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If the engine is a couple of gear teeth off you will likely bend a valve. A tooth off usually is no big deal, a couple may be another story.

Most people do something else wrong like leave something unplug. Do a compression test to make sure you don't have to low of compession for it to fire. I've heard of motors not building compression and failing to start. When most usually do in that case is put a little oil in each piston to get the compression up for it to start.

As for codes, some codes take a while to set. Up to 400 miles or more.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Where were you checking spark at ??

Are you getting the injectors to squirt fuel or when you say you have fuel are you just talking about pressure at the rail ??

If you aren't sure about the injectors firing you might want to hit it with a little starting fluid to see if it pops.

From your description it sounds like your timing is correct but you can post pictures of the crank and cams if you still have the covers off and we can "see" where you are at.