Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Drivers side Wiper Arm lifts off the last 1/4 stroke

Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper

Originally Posted by Psaboic
Strange, but our volvos are the only car I have ever owned that has this issue with the wiper arm. Wonder why?
My 05 Odyssey's rear wiper did the same thing. The hinge of the arm was so stiff it wouldn't allow the blade to conform to the concavity of the glass so the outer portion of the blade (the outer half) lifted off as it made its pass and touched back down on the other side. It wasn't corroded that I could tell. A new wiper arm was the fix.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Default tighten wiper nut

Originally Posted by JimKW
Before assuming the motor is bad try just tightening the nut that holds the wiper arm on. I have had this happed to me where the nut just gets lose. If the shaft to the wiper arm does not move with the wipers on, the motor is bad.
I added a little dab of the blue threadlock, after fixing the poor wiper arc, to prevent the nut from coming loose. That was after the initial repair and having the nut come loose at a most inopportune moment.

Any reason why not to use the threadlock? Blue seems easy enough to break when needed, strong enough for this application.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine driver side lifts off about 3/4 of the way up as well. I was going to bend the bracket near the nut but wanted to check here to make sure I wasn't the only one to encounter this problem. I'm on it...

Old 04-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Had the same issue about 3 months ago. I followed the procedure outlined by "Deeter" and it worked for me.

Good luck,
Edward

Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Glad to know it's a relatively common issue. Will try the fixes in here before resorting to buying a new arm.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just used Deeter's fix, works a treat now.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM

I grinded down the metal (on the bit that doesn't flip up) where the wiper arm is "stopped" as it is lowered to the glass. It has worked for 3 months, but recently with the snow the problem has crept back. (I clear my windshield so it wasn't pushing a night's worth of snow off...) I think the nut is loose now, the bottom of the windshield is unwiped and angles towards the top.
Anyone want to add comments on the threadlock method? I think I might try it.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM

I just bought new wiper arms from FCP Groton, they came with new blades and the air dam to hold the drivers wiper arm to the glass, well under $100 shipped at the time I bought them.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 AM

I tried the Deeter trick, but it did not work on mine. I bought both new wiper arms from FCP, now both of my wiper arms are sitting almost flush and look and work great. I guess the previous owner had bent them up pretty badly trying to solve the problem.
Thanks,
Stan

Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deeter
I had the same problem with my car. I was able to fix the arm without removing. See the link below.

Driver Wiper Arm
Just did this today. Worked great!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 AM

these forums have been so helpful. yes, i thought that it was just my car doing the wiper thing. thanks for the advice!!

Old 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Talking Thanks

Thanks,
I just bought Bosch ICON blades and all of a sudden only 1/4 of the drivers side was being wiped. I thought I had lost my mind !!!
My mind is still a subject of debate, but now I can see out the windshield when it is raining.

Last edited by macman33; 07-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Default Not NUTZ

As many have pointed pointed out, I am too glad to see that mine isn't the only one that does it!

Now I would like to know why it happens... I am going to take a wild guess and say that with heat and cold cycles the alloy warps maybe? Especially after reading that replacing the arm solves this problem.

I had tried in the past (prior to reading this post) to bend the arms as suggested always with fear of breaking the arm since I am not sure if this is a magnesium rich Aluminum alloy which may not be malleable.

The problem that I have encountered with the bending technique is that after a uncertain period of time it "springs back" to its original form. You can imagine that I come to find this out as soon as I need the wipers in the rain, LOL

I have been contemplating attempting the grinding option mentioned before, it just makes sense that by removing the "stop" the wiper will achieve a greater range of movement thus covering the mysterious part of the windshield.

Will keep ya posted

Art

Old 07-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Default No Science for me!

After reading that the arms were being bent at no risk of breaking or cracking, I removed my blasted wiper arm and placed upside down on a wooden block and went to town on it with a plastic mallet. I effectively took out all the bend and now it works great! I want to see that thing spring back now

Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 PM

I just got a 96 850 turbo wagon and the driver side wiper had the same problem as far as not touching window at end of the sweep. Took it off and did a little bend as Tech recommended and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks for your information on this fix
Jrb57
96 850 Turbo wagon 183XXX miles

Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Default The reasonable thing to ask is ...

What CAUSES the problem -

While there might be work-arounds that correct the symptom, I would also like to know what actually causes this problem.

Does anybody have this information ?

thanks.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 PM

I'm going to ignore the fact that this thread is ANCIENT and tell you that it's just what a soft metal like aluminum does over time. The metal fatigues and bends under the stress of the spring in the arm. You can correct it with a simple whack of a rubber mallet because it's soft enough to do so.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:13 AM

Well, you all can add me to the list! I noticed a while back that my drivers side wiper was having exactly the symptoms listed here, and finally decided to fix it after stumbling upon this awesome thread and finding how easy it was to fix. It took at most 5 minutes, start to finish, taking the arm off and finessing it back into shape.

Mine was badly bent. So badly bent, in fact, that the arm was actually rubbing on the edge of my hood with the wipers both in the fully down and fully up position, and at the top of the stroke the wiper was about 1.5" off the windshield! Now it's all good!

Last edited by 1995Volvo850; 12-13-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chrispy_T
I'm going to ignore the fact that this thread is ANCIENT and tell you that it's just what a soft metal like aluminum does over time. The metal fatigues and bends under the stress of the spring in the arm. You can correct it with a simple whack of a rubber mallet because it's soft enough to do so.
It might be an old thread but it's a new problem for me - I'm trying to get my mother's 850 running after not being used for a number of years.

It would be nice to see a synopsis section where an issue is fully stated with a cause, effect, and response/fix. This is something we see in all kinds of product forums so it's a forum issue not a product issue

Thanks much for your response.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok, I thought this was already posted but here is the BEST solution (not that the others are bad).

Get a passengers side arm from a S/V70 car and replace the drivers side arm on the 850. I did mine about 2 years ago and have not looked back. Mine wasn't even lifting (I don't think) but I was in the salvage yard and decided to get ahead of the issue.

The last 850 I had experienced the issue and I fixed it. Several months later it starting to lift a little again and I found out about the arm swap so I did it. Good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers side Wiper Arm lifts off the last 1/4 stroke