Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Dual Climate Control Issues

Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Climate Control Issues

Hey guys, you've been right on the money helping with all my other issues,... Thought I'd throw this one at you,

My 97 850glt has dual climate control.

No matter how I set the controls, the drivers side dash vent blows hotter than the passengers side.

I don't have AC right now because of a busted line,... So I am talking just vent.

Maybe I am not operating it correctly but with both dials set at SAME degrees, the drivers side is hot air and the passengers side seems more accurate to the dial position.
I don't notice a change in the scenario in AUTO mode either...
Just seems like the drivers side is stuck on heat, although the lower temp settings ARE cooler than the higher settings, it's still VERY warm air coming out.
What would cause/cure this problem??

RZ

Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quickest thing I can think of - pop the button off and make sure the driver's side goes all the way to its stop on the low end, and that where the button slips on is not worn out and not engaging.

Past that, I think you're looking at digging in the dash to find out whether it is the selector, the wiring, or the damper motors. If you want to get into that, you can find the Volvo service manual for your system here: A/C-HEATER SYSTEM - AUTOMATIC

I have the automatic climate control in my Turbo car - I much prefer the manual climate control of my other 850. It is much less buggy, and it still has dual climate control. If it gives me much more trouble, I may see about finding a manual unit to switch it out with. I much prefer a couple cables, to a plethora of motors and sensors controlled by a box that I can't retrieve the trouble codes from.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have the blinking lights on the control panels face when you first start it up ??

Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to ask that, but he said there is a busted AC line, so blinking lights are pretty much guaranteed already. And his is like mine, no way to read the ECC codes on an OBDII-only car with a standard reader. =/

I looked a couple weeks ago for a "made in china" knock-off body code reader (for all cars) but couldn't find anything that I felt confident of.

Last edited by Turkey_Sandwich; 03-04-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Default Squealing from dash

Last night I took the car out and turned on the vent fan,... Every 20 seconds or so, there is a squealing coming from behind the radio area,... I am thinking this may be the blower motor???
It sounds almost like a fan belt squeal,... But it's definately under the dash.
Is is a typical sound for the blower motor about to crap out?
It IS still blowing air,... Not a pleasant sound though.

I was thinking maybe there's some kind of trash (leaves or something) caught in there, but being that it's not constant,... Makes me think bearings in the fan motor ... Possibly??
I wonder if this can be some of my problems with the air on one side being hot all the time?!?!

RZ

Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Administrator

If you change the blower speed does the pitch of the noise change ??

Old 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM

I have a similar problem to you. My 94 850r I bought blows heat out of the drivers side while the passenger side begins to blow cold air out of the very most right vent. If I close that vent, the cold air begins to come out the middle vents above the ecu dial/settings. Yes the dials are both at the same temp and yes I have full antifreeze. Also, the vent is closed to block air coming from the outside the car. I hope you can figure it out cause I've been struggling with mine.

Here is one solution I've heard; my parents said their friend inherited a 96 850 wagon turbo and had the similar problem to mine. That same friend replaced the heater core and that fixed her heat problem flawlessly.

What makes me think its not the my core cause it actually blows heat. For some reason, now I don't have any air flow. I'm not too concered about it because its now summer and I don't need the heat. Also I don't wanna spend 100 bucks and tear apart the core to find its not it. Heated seats help during the winter but its still pretty chilly with crap heat.

I follwed this thread here that has great help to find solutions
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=35712

Hope this helps, take it easy
Clint

Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 AM

I don't notice the pitch changing with the speed, it's more of a whinning sound that really just gets loudeer and softer versus high pith and low pitch.
Sounds like the fan blows less and the sound gets louder and blows harder when the sound goes away.

It the fan easy to get to for inspection?

Thanks.
RZ

Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Administrator