Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Engine pulling Time.... ran into a couple of snags

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine pulling Time.... ran into a couple of snags

So I'm pulling my engine again today as the first step of the manual swap project. I made really good time so far only have 5 hours into it and it's ready to hook up to the hoist, w/ the execption of 2 evil bolts. There are 4 bolts that hold the AC Compressor to the engine bracket...the 2 i'm having issues with are the ones that you reach from the passenger side by pulling back the wheel liner.

Nothing else seemed to fit in that little space...so I started it with a super long extension and a U joint on the end nearest the socket. That kept slipping off..so i then decided to put a ratcheting wrench on it. I got it started this way, and was making decent progress until i hit a snag. The wrench is stuck on there now....the edge of the wrench is getting caught by the compressor wheel, and even worse i can't screw the bolt back in because the wrench is on the OFF side to remove it (only way to spin it back in is to flip it around... DOH

Can Anyone think of a way around this? i REEALLY don't wanna pull the compressor w/ the engine b/c then i'll need to disconnect the lines and loose all the refrigerant gas right?

Maybe if i get the top bolt off i can move the entire compressor out and get enough space to free the wrench? But it's a PITA to get that top bolt out.

How do you guys go about removing these 2 bolts ususally? There's gotta be some trick or tool that makes it easier...i struggle w/ them all the time.

2nd question...I was thinking of just pulling the entire wireing harness instead of disconnecting all the different components... How do you disconnect this if i go that route? Looks like it passes through the firewall in 2 places...on both the driver and passenger side. Where do i disconnect the wires? Doesn't look like there's a plug under the ECU box, or hear the passenger side stut tower.

Not sure if i really need to pull the entire harness...thought it may be easier if there was any wire splicing to do... Anyone that's done a swap think it's any easier or harder to do it this way?

Thanks! [/align]

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Engine pulling Time.... ran into a couple of snags

1. Sorry but you might have to pull it with the compressor on it. You are really in a jam here. I have a ball and socket type swivel which works alot better than the average one. I also have a really short socket thats how I get them loose.
If you can figure out how to get the compressor clutch off which is going to be a PITA because of room. You might be able to loosen the motor and turn the front back some to help you work on getting the clutch out. Thats all I can think of.

2. I forget where is disconnects on the drivers side but on the passenger side you need to remove the computers and computer box. Then unhook the the plug plate from the bottom section of the box. Then it will unhook from the other half then it will be loose.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOT IT!!

I bought myself some of the adjustable angle ratcheting wrenches, and was able to back the upper 13mm bolt off... a quick tap w/ a mallet and the condenser moved enough to free the lower wrench!

And i have a new set of favorite tools in the toolbox now...

So that's all done...now onto this wiring harness thing at the ECU box. I pulled the grommet at the bottom and see the split. How do these separate? Do i pull them apart, fore/aft.... or do they fold up together? Do i need to pry somewhere? Does the metal halves need to completely separate from the lower plastic tray?

I didn't want to force anything until I understood the mechanism.... I'm done breaking things on this car...for now

Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

They kind of fold and lock together. Then they lock into the lower plastic housing. If you look you should see the tabs you will need to push in to release. Then pull the whole thing up and fold down in the middle and pull apart.