Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Engine still misfiring after new ignition wires, distributer cap and rotors

Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine still misfiring after new ignition wires, distributer cap and rotors

95' 850 Turbo 2.3L Dual overhead cam... car was misfiring really badly... found that a big spark was coming out of one of the ignition wire plugs cause there was a rip in it. So I replaced the wires, distributer cap and rotors... started it up and now there's this mystery spark coming from somewhere I can't find. I'm gonna look later tonight in the dark to see if I can find it but it just doesnt seem right. The problem was right in front of me, I fixed it and now there's another spark somewhere and the engine is still misfiring.

Anyone have this problem or have an idea of what might be the culprit? I double checked that the wires were all going to the right places, and they're all on there good. I'm pretty stumped right now. The spark plugs look bad, but not bad enough to really cause a problem.. I'm planning on replacing them next week to see if that fixes the problem but I have a feeling it wont...

Old 05-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Engine still misfiring after new ignition wires, distributer cap and rotors

did you connect the right wire to plug?

Nick

Old 05-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Engine still misfiring after new ignition wires, distributer cap and rotors

Did you use oem wires?
If you cant find the spark jumping anywhere do a compression test.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Before anything, I'd replace the plugs and be clear its not them. One would think that if you had a misfire, replaced all but one component...and still had the misfire, that you need to replace whats left to eliminate it from the puzzle.

Besure you don't have a cracked plug!
I had a situation where I received a plug in the box that was cracked, and hadnt noticed. It was just a hairline in the ceramic. I'd been having problems with my girlfriends mustang misfiring, so I did a full tuneup. After the tune up, it still misfired on acceleration. I removed the new plugs I'd installed and checked them after a lot of frustration and head scratching.Eventually I saw the fracture and eliminated that plug. Problem solved.It could have cracked from heat etc..so check em!

Best bet would be to hook up a scanner and see if you can isolate which cyllinder has the misfire, and then go from there. Bad plug? Bad (cracked or worn) wire right out of the box? Wrong wire?Incorrect routing of wires to plugs? New Wires possibly not fully seated on plug or cap? Wrong or broken Cap/Rotor?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM

be sure to report back with the answer....I'm curious to know what the culprit turns out to be.