Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

intermittently shuts off *suddenly*, at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittently shuts off *suddenly*, at idle

The '96 850 GLT (5 cylinder, 140k miles) drives totally normal 99% of the time. Once in a while after a long run on the highway and you hit stop and go, it will just suddenly die. I've seen it before where the rpm will fluctuate up and down a bit and then die, as if its trying to compensate for the problem. It has no codes. The dealer and the local shop don't know whats wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: intermittently shuts off *suddenly*, at idle

I noticed your thread has had a lot of readers but no replies as of yet...so I figured I'd try to help.

Just off the top of my head...I'd tend to lean towards something air related..although without knowing more, it could be air/electronic/or fuel. You said after a run on the highway so I'm assuming this only happens when the vehicle is hot or up to running temp. Vac. issues can arrise when the vehicle is hot, and some smaller issues can become amplified from the heat as well.

1. Does it stutter in any way before dying? i.e. - anything leading you to believe it's fuel orairrelated? does it slowly sputter out as if its being starved for fuel/air, or does it just shut off immediately as if you shut the key off?

2. Where is your temp guage when it happens?

3.Have you checked all vacuum connections as well as your air intake seals? Make sure there's nothing loose that controls your air intake ( the airbox coveris seated completely, the air intake hose is free of splits or cracks and is properly seated and its hose clamp is tight, all vac. hoses are properly seated and free off cracks/leaks...etc)

4. Check your MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor)connection. Make sure its clean on the inside, and fully seated.

5. Are there any facts you're forgetting to mention?

6. Any other symptoms?

7. What has been checked by you and the dealer thus far?

8. Any recent maintenance performed before this problem started?

9. What happens when you immediately attempt to restart? Does it seem to have fixed itself, or does it take longer to restart? Does it shut off again soon after?

Answer these and we'll go from there.