Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

engine and transmission mounts, tensioner and idler pulley &&&

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine and transmission mounts, tensioner and idler pulley &&&

95 volvo 855 turbo, 170K miles:

lately I have been feeling more vibration in the cabin as well as a harder jerk upon shifts. I think its time I change all the mounts since I believe they were never replaced.

I know there are two hydraulic mounts and one regular mount behind the passenger wheel well. Is there anything I should be replacing on the drivers side? A transmission mount?

The upper torque rod bushing was replaced with a polyurethane one before I bought the car and I was advise by my friend/mechanic to leave it there because it performs better that the regular bushing.

So is there any other mounts on the driver side?

Also I have a loud humming sound from the belt side that makes me think it is the tensioner puller or the idler pulley. The noise has been there for well over a year, and is more audible when the car is warmed up and driven for a while. When cold, it is very quiet.
I will replace both for peace of mind and since they arent very expensive. Is this job straighforward as in removing a bolt type of deal?

The timing belt and related pulleys were replaced 2 years ago and I know its not the ac compressor since it doesnt change with the ac on or off. I hope the noise is not from the PS pump or the alternator.

Thanks!

Last edited by huzzsaba; 04-02-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a lower transmission torque arm, it looks kinda like a buckle. The polyurethane upper mount will last forever but they do transmit a little more vibration to the cabin.

On the humming, I think I would take the serpentine belt off and see if it goes away. If it doesn't then it would indeed be one of the timing belt rollers. Those rollers should have been changed at your 140k timing belt change but not all shops do that.

Changing the rollers is the same as changing the timing belt with a few extra steps. The idler roller is a piece of cake, two bolts. The tensioner is a little bit tougher since there isn't sufficient clearance to get a T-45 torx socket and a ratchet in place. I bought a torx socket that has a hex shaft and I use a 5/16 box end wrench over the hex part and extend it with a pipe to get leverage. You may want to change your tensioner as well as it should have been changed at 140k as well.

...Lee

Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the reply,

As far as the timing belt tensioner pulley, and the other roller related to the timing belt, they were replace with the timing belt 2 years ago, so I dont think thsoe are the culprits.

What I was actually talking about was the serpentine belt tensioner pulley and idler pulley. I believe they are easy to replace but just want to make sure.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 PM

The bearings for the alternator pulley will sometimes make that noise if they are worn out. One thing to try is to get an automotive stethoscope and hold that against any thing that the belt is turning and you will hear the noise through that. A more primitive way is to use a screwdriver and hold that up to your ear, the noise will transmit through that. That would only work if you can get to anything with it though.