Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Evaporator Leak -> Inside Cabin? Effects?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporator Leak -> Inside Cabin? Effects?

Hello,

Last year with the help of this forum I replaced my receiver/dryer, which was mostly rusted. I now just have to top off my 850's a/c system with 2 cans of 134a at the beginning of the summer and it seems like it lasts the entire year. Excellent!

My question is, since the evapator is still leaking, isn't it leaking 134a inside the cabin? That can't be healthy...I've driven this car for several years now adding a/c to the system...I never really thought about it leaking into the cabin like this. Kinda scary.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Default RE: Evaporator Leak -> Inside Cabin? Effects?

Found this report on the EPA's web site:

R-134a Toxicology R-134a also has very low acute inhalation toxicity. The lowest concentration that causes mortality in rats, the 4-hour Approximate Lethal Concentration (ALC), exceeds 500,000 ppm. The cardiac sensitization response level for R-134a is approximately 75,000 ppm. Anesthetic-like effects are observed at concentrations greater than 200,000 ppm, or 20%. Long term exposures with very high concentrations, 50,000 ppm, caused an increased incidence of benign tumors in the testis of rats. Again, none of the observed tumors were life-threatening, and all occurred near the end of the study. The evidence from all tests in cultured cells or organisms, as well as in laboratory animals, indicates that R-134a in not genotoxic and that the increased incidence in benign tumors is not due to an effect on genetic material. The test findings indicate that R-134a has very low acute and subchronic inhalation toxicity, is not a developmental toxicant, and is not genotoxic. Most refrigerant manufacturers recommend that TWA occupational exposures not exceed 1,000 ppm; this also is the level recommended by the American Industrial Hygiene Association, Workplace Environmental Exposure Limit (WEEL) Committee. Again, exposures still should be kept to the practicable minimum.

It is important to note that the tumors attributable to the R-123 and R-134a exposures were not cancerous. The findings reflect an increase in tumor incidence compared to rats in the experimental control group, those not exposed to the refrigerants. Some tumors also were observed in this control group, but not as many. Also, the recommended occupational exposure limit for each refrigerant is below the level at which toxic effects were observed in laboratory animals. The use of rats, dogs, and other animals is based on accepted scientific procedures and sensi- tivities to specific concerns by species. The lower exposure limit affords both a margin of safety and a conservative reflec- tion of potential differences, between responses in individual humans and between humans and test animals.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrig...ackground.html
Makes me feel a little better...sort of! Ugh. I just hate paying $1500 to replace the thing on a 12 year old car. Doing it myself is out, I saw the write up last year and it scares the crap outta me!!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: wheelsup
I just hate paying $1500 to replace the thing on a 12 year old car. Doing it myself is out, I saw the write up last year and it scares the crap outta me!!
Well if you plan on getting atleast another 10 years out of the car you would be better off replacing it.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tech
Well if you plan on getting atleast another 10 years out of the car you would be better off replacing it.
Does anybody here really plan on keeping these cars for so long? In terms of technology they seem obsolete now, imagine in ten years.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

I will be keeping mine till either I wreck it or it folds in half from driving it to long.

I get to attached to my cars.
Thats why the Mustang is still sitting in the Garage. It does nothing but sit there.
I could sell it in a heartbeat. It is a trunk car instead of a hatchback.
Everyone wants the Notchback cars.(trunk)

Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tech

I will be keeping mine till either I wreck it or it folds in half from driving it to long.

I get to attached to my cars.
Thats why the Mustang is still sitting in the Garage. It does nothing but sit there.
I could sell it in a heartbeat. It is a trunk car instead of a hatchback.
Everyone wants the Notchback cars.(trunk)
I also use my cars for many years, but in your position I would sell the Mustang and do something else with that money if you are not using the car at all. Garage space is very valuable in my house, road tax and insurance are not exactly cheap where I live.

Regards

Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I hear you but the mustang is sitting next to a pile of parts that will jump the HP from about 230 HP that it now has to about 270 or 280 HP.

It is sitting because I don't have the time right now to pull the engine and install all the parts.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:10 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>It is sitting because I don't have the time right now to pull the engine and install all the parts.

May I, well, suggest the following?:

Tech: Hey wife & kids, I would have to take some time off from work and the family for a reason (of course[8D]).

Family: Why? Something's wrong (kids worried, wife suspicious[8D])?

Tech: Well, it's about the Mustang (expect your wife to get even more suspicious, but keep your confidence[8D]). It needs to be diagnosed in the most precise manner (use of terms such as "precise" or "accurate" makes them think of something serious[8D]) and needs to be calibrated (don't you describe it as repair[8D]) in order for it to be roadworthy, meaning safety.

Kids: (fullof tears) Oh no daddy! Please do take your time and be safe!!!(kids, thanks for falling for it[8D])!

Wife: (with the most suspicious look in the world[8D]) Now Tech, tell meprecisely what kind of problem it is[8D]? Icould perhapsbe able to assist you in an accurate manner[8D]. (How did she get the hang of it, no one knows[8D]).

Tech: W...well, the Mustang's turbocharger needs to be upgraded in terms of boost pressure (use whatever the tech words to confuse her, even though she may know better[8D]) to escape from, say, a situation where a hurricane hits our region and if I have to maneuvre in the safest manner possible, so that I can care, protect, and love (the last one may do the trick and confuse the wife[8D]) you and the kids for years to come.

Wife: (Moved, only for 2 seconds[8D]) Tech, you're so sweet, but you could be even sweeter if you can let it all out and give me JPN guy's real name & address, so that I can care, protect, and love you and kids for years to come[8D](this will hit you real hard and you may collapse on the spot).

Tech: .....AAAhhhh!!!
JPN: ......AAAhhhh!!!

Sorry Tech, your wife's getting smarter everyday.

JPN

Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM

20 years on my Volvo??? Man that would be shooting for the moon I think ! They are awesome cars though.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

JPN you forget she works at a Dealer as well.
She is the one you would drop the car off at the dealer to have it fixed.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>JPN you forget she works at a Dealer as well.
>She is the one you would drop the car off at the dealer to have it fixed.

Oh no......

JPN

Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

LOL