Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

EXPANSION TANK OVER FLOWING

Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 AM
AlX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXPANSION TANK OVER FLOWING

hi all
i have a 850 GLE 1994, my expansion tank over flowing the coolant/ it also has steam pressure!
the tempreture gauge stays at normal level, all i get is low coolant sign.
Also expansion tank gets really hot and steams?!

how can i fix this problem![:@]

Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EXPANSION TANK OVER FLOWING

What is the coolant level in the expansion tank when the car is cold? It has to be between min and max. Maybe you overfilled it?

When was the last time you changed the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor. Maybe the reading is not correct.

What about the thermostat? When was it last changed?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 AM
AlX

i keep the coolant level right at the max level, 2days ago the light (low coolant) turned on and when i checked it was almost empty?
i get steam coming out from expansion /hot coolant gushing out of expansion tank.
i bought the car about 3 to 4 month ago, so i have no idea when it was changed, the coolant looks very dirty though, its brown...
i dont know anything about the ECT or the thermostat how can i check them [X(]

Old 11-04-2007, 05:29 AM

The thermostat is so cheap it is not even worth checking. Just go ahead and buy a new one and install it.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850cooling.htm#therm

The 87 degree thermostat is for turbos, the 90C one is for non-turbos.

Is the coolant brown or is the coolant expansion tank brown? The tanks get pretty dirty.

You might have a blown head gasket if you have oil in the coolant. That would explain the missing coolant too. You could also have a leaking radiator or a bad hose.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:36 AM
AlX

i just checked the expansion tank, the coolant is grey, it is silver color liquid.
i have had the hoses replaced recently and i dont see any leaks on the driveway at all, its just the expansion tank leaking/ squirting hot coolant.
what do u think?!

where do i place the thermostat or how do i chnage the head gasket.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 AM

Usually coolant is either yellow, green or blue. I have never seen silver coolant. Maybe it is dirt ir oil.

The 850 has a closed cooling system. The coolant expansion tank is there to make room for the coolant to expand when the temps go up. The system has to be closed tight to contain the pressure.

If there is a crack in the expansion tank or a bad expansion tank cap you will eventually lose all your coolant and bye bye engine.

You can get a new expansion tank here: http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850cooling.htm#radiators

Old 11-04-2007, 05:46 AM

One more thing, if you open the expansion tank cap after using the car and reaching normal operating temperature, it is normal for a lot of coolant to be spit out. That´s just how it works.

Be extra careful with hot coolant. It is pressurized and when you remove the expansion cap it can jump a couple of feet. It will burn you really bad. It might even scar your face.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:48 AM
AlX

i prob. have to change the coolant and see how it goes.
all i know that dealer where i bought the car from changed the radiator...
what i dont underestand is why it gushes coolant from expansion tank? you think it needs a pressure testing?
i also have a bit of whit -ish resedue in the expansion tank-

Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 AM

As I said, the coolant is hot and under pressure. If there is a leak in the expansion tank it will spit the coolant.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 AM
AlX

ORIGINAL: axelm

One more thing, if you open the expansion tank cap after using the car and reaching normal operating temperature, it is normal for a lot of coolant to be spit out. That´s just how it works.

Be extra careful with hot coolant. It can easily burn your face and body and scar you forever.
usually coolant gushes when the expansion cap is on, [imagine when you shake a coke bottle, and it gases the bolttle when you open the coke bottle it releases the gas] i get similar effect on the expansion tank?!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:54 AM

I think a pressure test will be more expensive then just changing the expansion tank and the expansion tank cap. It is a trivial half an hour DIY job.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 AM

Are you sure the expansion cap is tight? It could be something as stupid as that.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM

This may or may not be related but here it goes. I recently purchased an 850 t a few months ago and noticed strange activity in the expansion tank. It would heat up and begin to overflow. I had never added coolant to it but always got fuller and fuller as if the car was producing its own fluid, only it did have a gray-ish tint to it. I looked inside the tank and noticed a gray-ish, white substance on the bottom so I tried to vacuum it out but it was rock solid. I took the expansion tank off and found out someone had used two different types of stop-leak in it and it was clogged up all the way to the engine through the hoses, (how I never overheated is beyond me) Anyway, I reamed out my hoses and tank-a with a hand auger for sinks and the fluid became VERY grey!! So I flushed, filled and all is well.

I guess to make a long story short, Check for any signs of stop-leak in your system. It can clog more than the hole it's intended to clog and cause miscoloration.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 AM
AlX

i think ill give it a go, a mechanic friend of mine said that it looks like thay have added somthing in the radiator...
ill prob do wat u did, give everything a wash and re fill the coolant...

Ill let u know ...

tanx all

Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 AM
AlX

re::: expansion tank cap

yeah, i turn it as much as i can, but at the end trun it gets loose again,,,

would you have a picture for 850 GLE expansion tank lid??

Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 AM
AlX

ORIGINAL: gooproduct

This may or may not be related but here it goes. I recently purchased an 850 t a few months ago and noticed strange activity in the expansion tank. It would heat up and begin to overflow. I had never added coolant to it but always got fuller and fuller as if the car was producing its own fluid, only it did have a gray-ish tint to it. I looked inside the tank and noticed a gray-ish, white substance on the bottom so I tried to vacuum it out but it was rock solid. I took the expansion tank off and found out someone had used two different types of stop-leak in it and it was clogged up all the way to the engine through the hoses, (how I never overheated is beyond me) Anyway, I reamed out my hoses and tank-a with a hand auger for sinks and the fluid became VERY grey!! So I flushed, filled and all is well.

I guess to make a long story short, Check for any signs of stop-leak in your system. It can clog more than the hole it's intended to clog and cause miscoloration.
there is this grey/whitish residue stuck to the expansion tank. for eg if i dip my finger inside and wipe out the expansion tank wall i get the residue on my fingers!!!
its whitish grey.... it could be that...]
so u recommend that i should clean and rinse the expansion tank and hoses??! and refill my coolant?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: AlX

yeah, i turn it as much as i can, but at the end trun it gets loose again,,,
I just went downstairs and checked my cap. Mine is totally tight. That will definitely cause what you are seeing. Get a new expansion reservoir and cap here:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850cooling.htm#radiators

Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I would still check the thermostat and make sure it isn't broke and causing higher pressure than normal.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 AM

+1. Change the thermostat while you are at it.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a small hose that comes out of the top of the expansion tank. That hose goes to the housing where the thermostat and temp sensor is located. I would change the expansion tank, cap, themostat and temp sensor then flush and refill with new coolant. The thermostat is right behind the power steering pump and kind of a pain to get to, but not real bad. I believe the thermostat housing is held on with torx screws that kind of a pain also. I replaced mine with regular hex bolts when I did my thermostat. Careful not to strip those torx bolts. Get a decent set of torx bits and use the right size.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EXPANSION TANK OVER FLOWING