Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Exploding Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exploding Spare Tire

When to check the tire pressure today and look what I found. My spare had exploded. I'm guessing it was from that heat wave a while back when I was at Columbia, MO for school. Didn't have parking garage and have to leave it outside in the 120 heat. Dash and door panel vinyl peeled, headliner starts to sag, paint on the spoiler delaminated, and now the spare tire exploded all do to heat! Warp my parking pass on my rear view mirror while I'm at it as well.

Attached Thumbnails Exploding Spare Tire-imag0191.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need to move somewhere cooler lol

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked the tire before?
Have you had the spare on the vehicle and if so did you stay below 50 MPH?

That tire looks like it's missing some tread on that outer edge. It may have exploded from the heat but usually they pop in one weak place. That thing looks like it was run hard and the belts started to separate.

Glad you weren't in the vehicle when it went. That would scare the hell out of someone

Old 12-30-2011, 02:51 PM

I had the car now for a little over 4.5 years now and ever few months I would take it out to check the pressure. Didn't see anything unusual about it. But my aunt however, whose the original owner did used it once and that was like some time in the late 90's or early 2000's. I used it once 2 years ago but didn't drive it anywhere, only to fix my bent rim. And yeah, I'm guessing it went off when I was at MU and the car was parked at the stadium lot. Good thing there's hardly anyone there away from campus or everyone else would thought a bomb went off.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the problems I had with your spare. I used it a couple of months ago. LOL I picked up a Saturn that had a bad spare. The belts were coming out of the thing. You have to think, tires are suppose to last 4 years or so. A 16 year old tire is NO GOOD.

As for the other things you say were damaged due to heat, it sounds like you had a fire near your car. There is no way your light lense should have warped. I went/go through extream heat here every summer and have no problems like you mentioned except the door panel vinyl and head linner.

Oh, why do you have a space saving spare anyway? Notice to all, go get yourself a full size spare.

Last edited by rspi; 12-30-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 91shelby
sounds like you need to move somewhere cooler lol
I concur! Glad I don't live in the midwest anymore! Wasn't the winters I dreaded when there; it was the summers!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the problems I had with your spare. I used it a couple of months ago. LOL I picked up a Saturn that had a bad spare. The belts were coming out of the thing. You have to think, tires are suppose to last 4 years or so. A 16 year old tire is NO GOOD.

As for the other things you say were damaged due to heat, it sounds like you had a fire near your car. There is no way your light lense should have warped. I went/go through extream heat here every summer and have no problems like you mentioned except the door panel vinyl and head linner.

Oh, why do you have a space saving spare anyway? Notice to all, go get yourself a full size spare.
My light lens didn't warp, my parking pass did. They called it "space saving spare" for a reason you know. IDK might get a full size someday, easier to find tires for it and can actually go faster than 50 MPH! Kind of sad for me and the car though, always garage kept, clean, and wax. Now it has to be park outside and get weather beaten. The old girl can't take it no more.