Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Finally finished Stage 0 on T5-R but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Finally finished Stage 0 on T5-R but...

It's been awhile since I have posted. To give everyone an update, I just just finished Stage 0 on my T5-R which consisted of:
  • Flame Trap kit from IPD
  • Bosch Platinum / Iridium spark plugs (FR 7 DPP+)
  • Bosch spark plug wires
  • Bosch Cap
  • Bosch Rotor
  • Oil change (Mobil1 10/30 high milage synthetic, Purolator PureONE filter with magnetic plug from IPD)
  • Bosch O2 sensor - front. I'll replace the rear 02 sensor latter
  • Bosch fuel filter

I have learned from experience never to do everything at once.

My first stage was to replace spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. When removing spark plug wires I noticed they had a date code of 08/95 with Champion spark plugs installed. My question is, did the factory use Champion spark plugs? The spark plugs were worn but the T5-R idled smooth and drove well. After replacing the spark plugs my T5-R is now running ruff . I'm wondering if the spark plugs I purchased would cause this problem? I replaced the spark plug wires one at a time and it's possible I mixed one up. Does anyone have a diagram so I can verify spark plug wires are going to the correct location on the distributor cap?

As per my Flame Trap experience, I pray I never have to do another one again . Did anyone have to use a hose clamp to keep the smaller hose connected to the intake hose (PTC) and what did you torque the intake bolts too?

Sorry for the questions, but I want to make sure everything is correct before I start purchasing go fast goodies

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

l would recommend OEM spark plugs from IPDUSA. they come in with the correct gap. l have had people complain about using bosch spark plugs. the bosch might have the wrong gapping. do you still have your old plugs, swap them and see if it runs fine, if it does your need to regap your new plugs or get OEM.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the right way to installing back your wires.

Volvo Performance Repairs And Modifications

Old 03-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory original plugs were Chanpions. If you posted the plug number I can check to see if it's the right plug.

I'm running AC Delco Platnium without any problem. I've run Bosch in a lot of engines and not had a problem but like Boxpin said I have had some people complain about them in "domestic" car engines.
You should be good with Chanpion or NGK. They are likely the two most commonly used plugs. If you get dealer plugs or plugs from IPD or FCP that say "Volvo" I'm not sure who makes them but haven't seen anyone complain about them either.
I just like platinum as they hold up longer.

I'd guess you have a wire crossed, running on three would be a really rough idle. Or you have a vacuum hose off or cross connected someplace it doesn't go. The idle would be rough but much Smoother than a crossed wire.