Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

fixing the manifold

Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixing the manifold

On my '94 850 NA, the flex part of the manifold leaks (badly)
Its loud, and Im pretty sure the rest of the exhaust rattles at higher rpms due to the flex joint being bad.

When I bought the car, I was given a manifold as a replacement. But I didnt progress far in the repair as the 2 lower bolts holding the heat shield/collector to the manifold wont come off. The 3 upper ones were a breeze.
To top it of, the used manifold I was given had the lower section still bolted. I tried to remove 1 of the bolts last night....and the head snapped right off.
So I have a heat shield I cant get off, and a used manifold which I cant get the old pipe off of

I really wish volvo had made the flex piece a seperate pipe!

Is there a way to get the pipe off the used manifold now that the head of 1 bolt broke off?
And how can I get the 2 very rusty and already stripped heat shield bolts off?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Heat from a torch works pretty well for breaking frozen bolts loose. Saturating them with a penetrating oil like PB blaster (NOT WD40) is also a good idea. For the ones with no head usually drilling a pilot hole and then using an "easy-out" would be the answer. An easy out is built backwards so that it tightens as you turn it backwards in the broken bolt.

All else fails you might need to just drill a hole and tap it or use something like heli-coil inserts to create something to screw a new bolt into.

Attached Thumbnails fixing the manifold-pb-blaster.jpg   fixing the manifold-easyout-drill-bits.jpg   fixing the manifold-easyouts.jpg   fixing the manifold-heli-coil-kit.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM

I had put PB blast on them 1st.
I uses alittle heat from my MAP gas torch as well.
The ones on the heat shield would be impossible to get with an easy out as there is no room for a drill.
I might have to take it to a shop and let a pro handle this one. Problem is I wont be able to afford that for some time.
The exhaust leak isnt that bad if you are lightly accelerating or cruising. But if you have to give it more than 1/4 throttle its pretty loud.

I wish there was some way to "patch" the flex pipe. But with that kinda setup I doubt there is anything I could put over it that would seal it up in anyway.

Any ideas along those lines?

The issues with this car are not really all that bad. Its just, not having tools a mechanic might have to do it myself, as well as it needing some parts that are a bit expensive and me not having the funds right now is frustrating.

I was looking online and saw a 850 NA with a 850 turbo exhaust system. Man did it sound nice, with the turbo system being an inch wider in diameter.
I know the NA's there is not alot of easy performance mods, but I actually found several youtube vids where people had done alot to their NA's.
This car will likely never see any performance mods, especially as I cannot even afford some repairs it needs right now...but one can still dream!

Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Flexpipe needs to be replaced..

Your best bet is to go pull a junk yard manifold, DO NOT buy one of those ebay headers, the will not fit properly.

as for the broken bolt if its just the heat shield leave it off until you need to pull the head, that will save you some aggravation.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Flexpipe needs to be replaced..

Your best bet is to go pull a junk yard manifold, DO NOT buy one of those ebay headers, the will not fit properly.

as for the broken bolt if its just the heat shield leave it off until you need to pull the head, that will save you some aggravation.
the heat shield is in the way of the header bolts!
The header/flex pipe are 1 unit.
If I cant pull the 2 bolts holding the heat shield to the header, then I cant get the header off the car.

I have a junkyard manifold, but thats an issue as well as there are 4 bolts connecting it to part of the exhaust pipe and one of those bolts has already snapped its head off.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM

pb blaster more pb blaster then when you have enough more pb blaster..

Let it soak over night, then more pb blaster..

the more you soak it the better they will come off

either that or bring it to a exhaust shop and have them fix it..

Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another way to do it is heat it some with a torch and turn the torch off. Then as it's cooling spray the PB onto it as it will cool the part and get sucked into the voids. You only want to get it hot not glowing so it doesn't just vaporize when you spray it.

If necessary, just rip the shield out as you can likely get one at the salvage yard or even make something out of a scrap piece of metal.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Another way to do it is heat it some with a torch and turn the torch off. Then as it's cooling spray the PB onto it as it will cool the part and get sucked into the voids. You only want to get it hot not glowing so it doesn't just vaporize when you spray it.

If necessary, just rip the shield out as you can likely get one at the salvage yard or even make something out of a scrap piece of metal.
Ok, Ill try the heat/then PB blast method.
Id like not to ruin the heat shield, but it may come to that.
thanx