Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Flame trap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flame trap?

Dear Tech,
A few days ago I had a friend post a problem with my oil system in my name, but he posted on the general board.The car is a 94 850 wagon. the problem is oil everywhere in the engine bay. You said you thought there was a clog somewhere, but I'm at a loss! There seems to be good air flow thru the seperator,tothe flametrap, not spitting oil (cold @ an idle) out any hoses. It all seems to be fairly normal except it spit out about 2 quarts of oil in about 75 miles. The flame trap / seperator all seems normal, where possibly could the clog be? It does seem like it's being blown out the filler cap
Kinda stumped here, please help.
Poorman

Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Default RE: Flame trap?

I'd try replacing the seal on the filler cap. That's cheap and easy. But 2 quarts in 75 miles seems like too much to just be from a leaking oil filler cap. Try checking under the valve cover where your spark plug wires are. There's a tube that goes from there over the side of the engine down through the intake manifold to the oil trap. It's part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system (PCV). If there is a lot of oil under there then your problem is probably a clogged PCV system. FCP Groton sells a kit for the PCV system, but you have to remove the intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, and throttle to change it. Here is a link to photos and a discussion about the PCV. I changed mine out last weekend and let me tell you, it takes a lot of time and patience to change the PCV system by yourself. http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...29650&st=0

Do others have any better ideas or advice?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About nine months ago somebody posted a problem regarding a crack in the oil filler neck and he fixed it with epoxy. Look very closely (magnifying glass?) at the joint of the filler neck and the engine block. When you turn the oil cap see if the neck moves. It might be cracked. Apparently this is not frequent since I haven't read any other report of this problem and I've followed this forum every day for the last year and a half.

Good luck,
AxelM

Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Try reving the engine up a couple of times pretty high.
The try removing the oil cap and listen for pressure to release. If it does then there is a clog somewhere. It could be inside the small vaccum line at the flametrap

Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You,
Elchington 2002, axelm, and tech. All very sound possibilities! There is alot of oil in the spark plug valley. I don't think it's a crack in the filler neck, as it does have some pressure there, and the gasket at the filler neck is fairly new. I will be checking the hoses and replacing the entire flametrap system, along with the timing belt, plug wires etc. (kinda makes me aggie, I just put those plug wires on a couple of months ago)
Thank you gents very much, I really appreciate your input.
many many thanks,
Jim

Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Hello Folks,
It's been a long while, butbetween vacations and other schedule difficulties, and parts ordering etc. we finally got her going again last Thursday. Replaced the entire flame trap / seperator system, new timing belt, serp. belt and plug wires. The gentleman who does my major wrenching was convinced that it was not going to cure my problem, as he couldn't find any problems with the parts he took off. But due to the vast wealth of knowledge to be found in this forum, lo and behold, 300 miles and no oil consumption. (Way better than 2 quarts in 75 miles)
Thank you guys ever so much. Your advise is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks again,
Poorman

Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, and thanks for the feedback!