Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Flame Trap??

Old 12-15-2004, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Flame Trap??

This question regards a 1997 850. The check engine light is on and has been on for an embarassingly long time. I thought the computer might be generating it at a service interval. You know: "pay 'em 150 bucks to push the button and turn the light off" type thing. My wife took the car to the dealership some time back and was told that it was basically okay, but fixing the problem would cost in the neighborhood of about a grand (hence the check engine light is still on). She thinks she remembers being told something about an 'exhaust fan' being what needs repair. Sounded weird to me, then I read something about a flame trap that needs servicing every so often in some volvos. Would this flame trap ever cause a check engine light to come on? I can say with certainty that this flame trap hasn't ever been serviced.
The car drives absolutely fine, and one would never know anything was wrong other than the check engine light being on (and yes, if something does go wrong, we won't know because the check engine light is already on!!)
Thanks for any advice on this.
DB

Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 850 Flame Trap??

If it is totaly clogged it might throw a check engine light.It would be for a mass flow sensor.You said something about exhaust it may be that the oxygen sensors are bad.If you can try to track down the receipt from the dealer and see what it says I may be able to help a little more.If you can't find the receipt you may be able to call the dealer and find out info about what was wrong.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tech. After Christmas is all over, I'm going to take it to the dealership and get a repair estimate done. I'll let you know what they say then.
Also, I got those S40 seats into my Tacoma just fine. they're sweet. It was about 25 degrees this morning, and I kinda wish i'd have connected the seat heaters. Maybe that's the next project.
What can you tell me about the mass flow sensor? Would this have anything to do with airflow from the filter box to throttle body? Because I need to replace that flexi-hose section coming from the box- I just found a tear in it.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If the hose has a tear in it that will cause the check engine light to come on and make the car run richer.The mass flow sensor calculates the air going into the engine and the computer adjusts the fuel to match.If there is a tear in that hose it will be getting more air that the computer knows and things will go wacky.Also your flame sheild that is replacable is in that hose.Look for a plastic peice that is round about the size of a half dollar with 2 hoses going to it.That is it loosen the hose on the throttle body side and slide off throttle body.The plastic peice turns and unlocks then pulls out.Inside that peice there is a screen type looking peice remove that and replace.To remove the flame sheild you can screw a small wood screw into it and then pull with pliers.