Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Flashing "transmission mode" light

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing "transmission mode" light

So I switched to Winter mode for a second and then now my lights are all flashing.

The triangular instrument on the instrument cluster is flashing and teh light on the "switcher (Economy/Sport)" is also flashing.

My CEL also came on...

And looking at the online owners manual, I just read this. " If the warning lamp begins to flash , this means that there is a fault in the automatic gearbox. Contact your Volvo retailer."

Do i got a huge problem here?

EDIT: It's a '95.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Flashing "transmission mode" light

Shoulda read the other thread. But I experienced a messed up speedo a couple weeks back also.

Heard a whistling on the highway (going around 65-70 and what sounded like the front passenger side) and it was there for a good 30 secs or longer. I noticed it and let off the gas and it stopped. Right after however, my car seemed to be going slower even when I was hitting the gas pretty hard.

I pulled over to the shoulder and restarted the car. The Speedo was still acting funny (going up, but didn't seem like it was accurate). A while later it fixed itself.

I checked the tranny fluid a while back, and it seemed ok (Maybe I should change the tranny fluid?).

Also wanna add that I just went synthetic for my engine(126k miles, and synthetic for about 70miles so far.)

Old 01-02-2007, 09:18 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. RedTurbo850,

Here are related threads to start with:

https://volvoforums.com/m_49164/tm.htm
https://volvoforums.com/m_47890/tm.htm

The problem could or could not be serious. In my case, it was just low on fluid, when I worked on the pax-side drive shaft the fluid leaked by about 1/2 quart. I didn't add any fluid until I got that flashing arrow. After adding a half quart of Dexron-III/Mercon fluid, the arrow never came back (The CEL had to be cleared by scanner, as OBD-I read 1-1-1 for engine but the transmission problem turns the CEL on. Or I could've cleared it by accessing A7).

Flushing the fluid is not a bad idea, though I doubt it is causing the problem, unless if there is a foreign object somehow found its way inside the gearbox (most likely from the dipstick insert). Even a tiny piece of foreign object clogs fluid passages, which renders the gearbox useless and it has to be disassembled, unless it comes out during flushing procedure. Anyway, double-check on the fluid level, that dipstick is difficult to read, a poor design. Anyway, the speedo may be due to faulty ABS module.

As to the whistling, I have no clue at the moment. It seems like vacuum leak somewhere, causing the A/F mixture to lean out?

If it's 95, it should have DLC receptacle for OBD-II scanner, in front of the shifter under the coin holder (my 850 is 94 but it has one).

Synthetic oil seems to be most effective for high-performance engines (turbo, variable valve timing, etc...) and manual transmission gear oil.There are 2 benefits I know of regarding synthetic oil:

1. Withstands extremely high pressure/load (good for turbine/compressor bearing)
2. Withstands extremely high temperature (again, good for turbocharger)

Some say that synthetic oil causes leak by attacking rubber seals, but I haven't seen any scientific reasons for this. Even the owner's guide says "...use of synthetic oil is highly recommended". I'm cheap, so I've been using synthetic-blend (Valvoline Durablend 10W-30). You get what you pay for, and if synthetic oil causes troubles they should've been terminated from the market long time ago.

I wish you the best of 2007.

JPN

Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM

^Does autozone have the correct heads? I went to Checker Auto and they didn't have the correct Volvo head to check the OBD-II code.

I think I might just take it to the dealer tomorrow to check....Sounds like this is going to be a very very very expensive thing....Damn...

Btw, what is the recommended interval for transmission fluid change?

Old 01-02-2007, 11:20 PM
JPN

Good evening,

Yes, my local AutoZone did have Actron scanner (Actron CP9175) that fit my 1994 850. They thought my 850 didn't have OBD-II receptacle, so I had to tell them that it did have one.

As to the flushing cycle for tranny fluid, it's up to argument. Some say it's good for the life of the car, some say it should be changed at every 30,000 miles/3 years. I personally would flush at about that interval, or might stretch it to 50,000 miles/5 years. Or it may be a good idea to do it at the same interval as doing the timing belt, so it's easy to keep track of.

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 PM

One more question, is it safe to drive in "limp" mode? Am I in danger of my tranny blowing or anything?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 AM
JPN

Hello again,

I don't think you'd blow out something instantly in "limp" mode. However, it is designed as an emergencyfeature and I would correct the problem no later than one week (or sooner if possible). Try shifting manually, and if the tranny responds good,the problem is probably in the electronic control or fluid level too low or too high, by as little as a half quart. If this is the case, I don't believe mechanical devices are in danger. However, if you shift manually and the tranny still shows problem, try not to drive the car (unless absolutely necessary) and have the problem corrected asap.

I wouldn't have fluid flushing done at generic transmission shop or garages. I would probably do it by myself, but if the weather does not allow, I'd find a specialized shop or give up and visit the stealership.

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 01-03-2007, 02:18 AM

Thanks a ton for the help JPN.

As of 2 minutes ago, I just went outside and drove the car. Used all 3 modes, and the light went off. HOWEVER, the CEL is still on.

I gotta go to a couple places tomorrow (Appointment and WOLVES GAME!!) so if the light comes back on, I'll update you guys. For now, doesn't seem like it's a huge problem (?).

Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 AM
JPN

Hello once again Mr. RedTurbo850,

CEL does not go away, as there is a code stored in the transmission control module. I'm not sure if this can be cleared via OBD-I terminal, I just went to a local AutoZone and they were able to delete the code with a scanner (Actron CP9175 scanner), as well as turning the CEL off. After that, I put about a half quart of tranny fluid and so far it hasn't come back. With this problem, the OBD-I A2 socket does not tell you anything but 1-1-1 (system normal). However, you may get something out of A1 or A7, I forgot which socket was for the transmission module. Refer to the posts I mentioned earlier and go to volvospeed.com for the correct socket number.

Did the car respond all right by shifting manually? I would like to know.

This is the last reply for the night. Talk to you tomorrow.

Good night,

JPN

Old 01-03-2007, 03:48 AM

^I guess I will have to try ot track down the correct socket to fit the OBD-II port.

I did not try manually shifting as I've always heard it's bad for your transmission (at least if you do it very very often). If the light comes on again tomorrow however, I will manual shift just to see if something gets fixed...