Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Flushes!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushes!?

okay guys, I also need help on opinion! is it okay to do an engine flush on a 95 T-5R that has 121,000 miles, my friend told me not to do it, but thats his opinion, now I just need guys with more experience with Volvo's, Also besides enigine flush, how about Tranny and Coolent Flush? and what are the prices at placed to get it done?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flushes!?

What the heck is an engine flush? Not a term I'm familiar with. I know whatTransmission and Coolant flush are, and I recommend changing coolant and transmission fluid, but not flushing.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM

What the heck is an engine flush?
This goes back into the mists of time. In the 1960s, when I started driving and maintaining,it was recommended to use a flushing oil every 4 or 5 oil changes to get rid of all the rubbish that built up in the engine. The flushing oil was put in, engine brought up to working temp and allowed to idle for about an hour. When it was drained it was like black syrup. I only ever did one.

Modern engines should not require this drastic cleaning as most oils now are detergent.

Go along with the transmission and coolant flush but forget the engine flush.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It usually gets done to clean the inside of the engine. The chemical is added to the oil and run for about 15 to 20 minutes then drained.

These days it is usually only done to engines with sludge in them.

I had a S70 that was sludged really bad. Had the car for 3 days cleaning the engine.

Installing the oil pan and running it then having to remove the oil pan again and cleaning the pickup tube because it was totally clogged again.

In total removed the oil pan 3 times and flushed the engine 7 times.

Finally it is clean enough to drive the car. But it will be back again in 4 to 5 days again for another flush.

So to answer the original quiestion I would not flush it unless you are looking for some trouble.

Is the engine sludged up?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:29 AM

how would i know if it is?

Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Some examples I can provide:

1. Poor engine response.
2. Poor gas mileage.
3. Poor emissions (failing emissions test, etc...).
4. Accelerated oil consumption.
5. Etc...

If you haven't noticed any of the above, it probably doesn't need engine flush (and it is seldom done these days, as engine oil has improved and cleans out sludges).

As to transmission flush, some books I read noted that if the tranny hasn't had a flush for a long time/high mileage, it is better not to do, as sludge/FOD can possibly dislodge with clean fluid and clogs up one of the tiny hydraulic passages in the tranny. But things may have changed, so I'll let other experts argue on this.

As to the cooling system flush, go right ahead; it won't harm anything. I usually skip flushing and replace coolant at every 30,000 miles or 3 years.

I hope this helps.

JPN