Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?

Hello everyone. I tried searching for a specific thread for my issue but couldn't really find anything. This issue is slightly hard to describe so bare with me.

To start I have a 1997 850 Wagon (non turbo )

Just recently and not every single time, but when i come to a stop, just before I stop, I get a creaking noise from the front. I assume it is the brakes but it's a bit different than when you slowly release or play with the brakes and you get that typical grinding noise of the pads against the rotors. This is similar to that but louder and I can feel it in the steering wheel. If anyone could give me some ideas as to what may be causing this I would greatly appreciate it.

The most logical think I have been told by friends is new brake pads up front. I just don't think they need replaced yet so I'm at a loss.

Thanks again

Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me ask you does the steering wheel shake when you hit on the brakes or it just makes noise without the steering wheel shaking?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
let me ask you does the steering wheel shake when you hit on the brakes or it just makes noise without the steering wheel shaking?

This whole noise thing occurs only a few times per trip. When it does occur you can feel it through the steering wheel slightly.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Is it almost like a hum?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Is it almost like a hum?
Think of an old wooden rocking chair on an old wooden floor. That is probably the best I could describe it.

Last edited by Ryan Baldwin; 02-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Baldwin
Think of an old wooden rocking chair on an old wooden floor. That is probably the best I could describe it.
my best bet is the brake pads. when was the last time your changed your pads? if its making noise its probably your pads and if the steering wheel shakes when you are braking, your rotor is warped and needs replacing.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It's the spring seat or strut mount. Many people describe the sound as one of an old wooden ship. If you open the hood and push down on the finder to make the car bounce, you may see the top of the strut going up and down, which would be bad. Also, you may be able to turn the rubber part that the bolt is attached to, which is also not good.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
It's the spring seat or strut mount. Many people describe the sound as one of an old wooden ship. If you open the hood and push down on the finder to make the car bounce, you may see the top of the strut going up and down, which would be bad. Also, you may be able to turn the rubber part that the bolt is attached to, which is also not good.
I went out to check this and the driver side is fine but the passenger side moves just the tiniest bit. However The noise comes from drivers side from I can tell. Regardless I'm going to get the passenger side issue looked into! Thanks for informing me!!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
my best bet is the brake pads. when was the last time your changed your pads? if its making noise its probably your pads and if the steering wheel shakes when you are braking, your rotor is warped and needs replacing.

About 8 months ago I had new rotors and pads put on the rear. However I've only had the car a year and have not touched the front ones as the mechanic told me they were fine at the time. When I look at them there is about 1/3 an inch of pad. I am by no means a mechanic (obviously) so this could mean nothing. Is it possible they could have gone bad even if their is pad left?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Administrator
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM

About 8 months ago I had new rotors and pads put on the rear. However I've only had the car a year and have not touched the front ones as the mechanic told me they were fine at the time. When I look at them there is about 1/3 an inch of pad. I am by no means a mechanic (obviously) so this could mean nothing. Is it possible they could have gone bad even if their is pad left?
is there any way you could get on a quiet neighborhood and take a video of it and post it up?

take a video of you pushing the front end up and down to make sure the mounts are good or needs replacing like RSPI said.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From all the posts and info it doesn't sound like brakes at all. It's likely something in your suspension that has play in it and is shifting one way when you brake and another when you let up.

The upper strut mount is a good place to look but also the bushings on the control arm where they mount to the frame could be another.

Attached Thumbnails Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?-suspension-front-strut-mount.jpg   Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?-suspension-front-coil-spring-seat.jpg   Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?-control-arm-lower.jpg   Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?-control-arm-lower-bushings-only.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Administrator

That upper mount/spring seat is worn out. I've read of people using washers to try and tighten it up but the best bet is to replace that worn out spring seat.

Attached Thumbnails Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?-suspension-front-coil-spring-seat.jpg   Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?-suspension-front-strut-exploded-diag.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
That upper mount/spring seat is worn out. I've read of people using washers to try and tighten it up but the best bet is to replace that worn out spring seat.
Thanks a lot of the input. I finally got around to visiting a mechanic and asked him to see what he thought of the ideas you guys have all thrown out. He went for the 'spring seat' and said that for now it's fine but once I hear clunks over bumps to get it checked out.
The only reason I don't get it fixed right now is because I'm at school and it's in a very....Domestic Truck loving area. Last time I went to a mechanic to fix a collapsed vacuum hose they made fun of me and told me to buy a Ford. I just looked at him and said I do have one... But yeah thanks again guys, next time I make it home I will take it to the Volvo mechanic that has babied this car since it was born.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

A better way to check the spring seat is to take a 21mm wrench and try to turn the nut on top of the strut. If it turns all the way, the seat is torn. Just having some movement when bouncing does not indicate failure.

Last edited by rspi; 02-28-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

When I look at that video I see a nice shinny part right in the middle. To me it looks like the steel sleeve for the rubber spring seat has separated from the spring seat. To me, that's a failure.

Anyone else think they're looking at the sleeve too ??

Yes there might be some play when you bounce it as it is made out of rubber but from the video it's already loaded with the vehicles weight. The vehicle is resting on it with it's full weight. He first pushes down on the fender and you see the strut top rise up a lot more than just "play".
In this video at about 2 min in the guy jacks up the car. This is the amount of movement when you push on a fender I'd expect.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZXsu_KK_A

ES6T, you're the Volvo tech, how much vertical play is there supposed to be in that mount?

I'm sittin' in Wisconsin at the moment so I'm no where near the vehicle and haven't seen or felt the problem. I'm just trying to give the best advise I can from way out here. What he is concerned with is the noise and no matter if he bounces the strut vertically or spins that nut horizontally I'm pretty sure the spring seat is the cause of his problem

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 02-28-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The shiney part is the cross shaped nut under the upper washer. If the was the sleeve from the spring seat, there would be a lot more play and a ton of rubber shavings all over the place most likely.

It certainly can be the spring seat, I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just giving a more definitive way to tell if it is bad. If you put a wrench on the nut and turn, it should move slightly and then stop. If you can spin it all the way around, the spring seat is busted.

As for how much play, Volvo doesn't have a spec for something like that. I check them as mentioned above. You can also remove the nut to visually check for a broken seat or use a pry bar under the washer to lift it and peek in there. Using a wrench is the quickest way though.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Ryan could also be a light behind like me, hard to make the car bounce when you don't weigh much. LOL

Quick Reply: Front Creaking Noise..Brakes?