Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front End Impact, and manual shift knob, need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Impact, and manual shift ****, need some advice...

so i was recently in a front end impact because i hydroplaned, and i need some advice on how to remove/replace a few things if anyone could help.
my car is a 93 GLT

First, anyone know how to remove the stock shift **** from the manual trans?

FIXED 2nd, How do i get to the seatbelt locks? after the impact, my passenger seatbelt has been unusable because the lock jammed and you cant pull it out. FIXED

3rd, How do i remove and replace the drivers and passenger airbags?

HAVE THE INFO 4th, is there a way to remove the frame that the sunroof glass sits in? because my glass came off from the pressure of the airbags, and i found an 850 at a junkyard with an intact sunroof, and i would like to get the glass the easiest way possible, rather than try to pop the glass from that one and then install it into mine. HAVE THE INFO

HAVE THE INFO 5th, is it possible to run a halogen bulb in my light without a lens, or will it just blow right away? my lense shattered in the impact and i cannot afford a new headlight right now (autozone wants over $300 for it) HAVE THE INFO

Old 10-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Default RE: Front End Impact, and manual shift ****, need some advice...

#2... the seatbelt retractor is behind the trim in the side pillar. The seat is held down by 4 bolts. Remove them and you can pull the seat out. You'll have to remove a 5th bolt that holds the seatbelt to the side of the seat frame, and then you can easily pry off the trim panel and have a look behind to see what's up with the retractor.

#3... I'll refer you to this post first. http://www.woodjoiner.com/volvo/ THOROUGHLY read through andin a nutshell, you disconnect the battery for a half hour prior to touching the airbags. Step 4 (page 9) refers to the steering wheel airbag. I now refer you to this post. http://people.umass.edu/gfeldman/vol...vap/index.html I use this post regularly when I'm trying to figure out anything under the dash because it uses so many photos to show each and every screw that it's all but impossible to make a mistake. Refer to photo 10 for the driver side and photo 31 for the passenger side. You should be able to figure it all out especially using the second one. It's easier than it seems.

#4... we were just discussing this over at Matthews volvo site this past week. I just pulled a complete sunroof out of a wreck... http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...ic.php?t=16702(my comments on sunroof removal at the bottom) Once exposed, the entire sunroof assembly was easily dropped after unbolting 8 bolts from the roof... 10 minutes. Have an extra person with you if you can because it's heavy and bulky to deal with for removal. You'll definitely need a 2nd person for the installation.

#5... Don't bother with a bulb until you replace the lens... will NOT last. Check Ebay for a lense, they're on there all the time. FCP Groton has them and they're great to deal with. I'm in Edmonton and buy regularly fromFCP. And if you're going to a wrecker for the sunroof, grab the lense. Even a cracked one will be better than no lense IMO at least for the short term.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:32 AM

ok, thanks, i will be using this advice monday when i go to the yard
anyone have any idea how to remove the shift ****? (i have a pretty nice aftermarket one that a friend gave me a while back)

Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it just pulls straight up to come off.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM

nope, tried it, no go, i was looking on another forum and they were saying that the only way to get it off is to hack it off really, is this true?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Not sure I haven't done one. But I have heard you need to pull really really hard.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 AM

and also, any idea what the easiest way to remove just the glass from the sunroof would be?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Which car? The one at the wrecker which won't have a battery? If you've got power to the system and you can elevate to the vent position, it's easy... http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php ... No power to the system?... that's hard....

Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

If you want to remove the entire assembly as I red above then you will need to remove the entire headliner assembly then remove the entire assembly.
I just did mine a few weeks ago.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:43 AM

i dont want the entire assembly, i was just wondering if there was a way to remove the sunroof glass and the frame-like part that the glass sits in from the rails, because i dont have the money for a whole assembly

Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Maxbaby

Which car? The one at the wrecker which won't have a battery? If you've got power to the system and you can elevate to the vent position, it's easy... http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php ... No power to the system?... that's hard....
thats exactly what i needed for the sunroof, thank you!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM

And to add to my response about getting your glass out, I'm not sure, but... Isn't there the ability to manually crank the sunroof motor with a screwdriver?... If so, you should be able to spin it, especially with a good cordless drill in case you need to open it up without battery power... I don't know this for sure, but I'm pretty sure that there's a slot in the rotating gear for this. Otherwise, one could never get the sunroof to close if the motor crapped out.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

NO you need power to move it. But a cordless drill battery and some wire will work fine.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM

yeah, ill bring a battery or something with me to the junkyard to move the sunroof back into place so that i can easily remove it.

and also, anyone have any ideas on the shifter ****? please?