Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front window coming out of alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front window coming out of alignment

Been having a problem w/ my front RH window since i've had the car. Basically, when the window is raising up, it shifts towards the front of the car about 1/4-1/2" right before it stops moving. This leaves a decent sized air gap at the top rear side of the window.

You can manually slide the glass back into place so the seal is good, but this also requires gettting the outer lip of the weatherstrip unstuck as the glass usually smashes this when manually moving it. it will be OK, until the next time the window is opened/closed then it does the same thing.

I finally took the door skin off this weekend and was trying to figure out how to correct it, but didn't have a lot of luck. took everything off including taking off the bolts for the cassette (thing that the window regulator mounts to). I was never able to separate the lifting rollers from the tracks they roll in. After a while, i was at a point where the cassette was partially removed from the door (could see the pie shaped gear on the outside of the door, but because i couldn't separate the glass, it was still attached. I finally was going to give up and take it to the dealership, and somehow managed to get The cassette back into the door. After doing this, the window was aligned much better, and it seemed to work fine. I cycled it up/down a few times and it would seal prefectly. After driving it for a day i tried cycling it again, and it's out of alignment again.

I noticed that 8 of the bolts hold the cassette to the door frame, but there are also 2 brass nuts that probably hold the lifting arms in place. Where the front nut interfaces w/ the door, there is a slot in the door, not just a hole. It was easy to move the threaded section behind the door w/ the nut off...i'm thinking this might have something ot do w/ alinging it, but at both extreme positions, it didnt' seem to have much affect.

Does anyone have experience w/ something similar to this? I'm wondering how these things should be aligned, and if there is anthing that is loose that is allowing it to come out of alignment during the last 1" of closing.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Front window coming out of alignment

I just wondered, seeing as you just did it, can you give any tips on the removal of the door trim? Any pitfalls or horrible little plastic trim holders that refuse to go back?

I have to look at my drivers side door lock module.

Love the look of your wagon btw.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Mass850

I just wondered, seeing as you just did it, can you give any tips on the removal of the door trim? Any pitfalls or horrible little plastic trim holders that refuse to go back?

Thanks
It was actually very easy. First time i tried it, and had no problems at all. I used the instructions here as a guide:
doorpanel removal

Although be aware that the sizes of some of the torx bolts that are mentioned in this guide aren't accurate (at least not for me). After later looking at my Haynes manual, i found that set of instructions to be more accurate.

Granted...i haven't tried to put the door skin back on yet. Waiting to try to figure out this alignment issue first. That could be a whole different monster.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM

Thanks, that was much appreciated, I'll take a look this coming weekend.

Might I ask, is it the angle of the photo, or do you have an extra tint on your windows? My wagon is white and I'm thinking of getting the windows tinted, tastefully, and just wondered.

Thanks again for the link!

Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

First to get the glass loose remove the little clips on the plastic rollers and then pop the regulator out of the glass CAREFULLY with a screw driver.

Second How does the guide look at the back of the door?

Third the regulator might be bent causing the misalignment.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Mass850

Thanks, that was much appreciated, I'll take a look this coming weekend.

Might I ask, is it the angle of the photo, or do you have an extra tint on your windows? My wagon is white and I'm thinking of getting the windows tinted, tastefully, and just wondered.

Thanks again for the link!
I don't think there's any extra tint on the windows. I haven't added any since i got it ~6mo ago.