Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

fuel injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel injector cleaning

I am wanting to take out the injectors and replace the O-rings/seals but I would like to clean the injectors also. I read a post by Tech saying that shops flow-test and clean them so I am assuming there is a way to clean the injectors. How do I clean the injectors? I don't want to damage them or make anything worse, obviously. Thanks much.

jefhon

Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: fuel injector cleaning

Hi jefhon,

As to cleaning the injectors, shops generally use a method called "power-cleaning", which I am not sure how it's done.

Unless you're 100% sure that the injectors need such professional cleaning, I would just dump a large bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner and do this twice, as well as replacing the fuel filter with Bosch. There may also be a filter called "last chance filter" inside the injectors, which is usually not a replacement item and in which case the entire injector needs to be replaced.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, I am a little wary of fuel system cleaners that are added into the fuel. Have you used the Techron cleaner? Have you noticed any improvements in performance? I appreciate your input and am open to anything. My injectors are functioning okay but I just like to do preventive maintenance. I noticed one of my injectors seems to be leaking a tiny bit so I figured I may as well go in and replace the rings/seals at least. Thanks again for your input.

jefhon

Old 07-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we did the valve job on my 97 R I had the injectors cleaned and calibrated at a shop that specializes in doing them I think it was around $120 to have them done professionally and that included new seals.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 PM

I have been reading up and it seems that specialty/expensive equipment is used to clean injectors off of the car. I will probably be investing in some type of fuel cleaning additive(s). I am still holding out that there is a "homemade" way of cleaning injectors off-car. Here is a useful link with related articles/links: http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ic30336.htm. Thanks for the replies and best of luck in your work!

jefhon

Old 07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
JPN

Hi Jefhon,

To be honest, I have not noticed much difference in performance by using any brand's fuel system cleaner, and I myself use them as "peace of mind" purpose (I use them once/year or every 10,000 miles). However, with the in-line fuel filter in place, it is usually not necessary to have each injector cleaned. But if you suspect one in your car seems leaking, it may be worth having it cleaned at a reputable shop. If $120 or so to have them cleaned, I believe it is worth the money.

Catalytic converter seems to be vulnerable against raw fuel/hot start (sudden rise in temp/combustion in the combustion chamber), so a leaky injector does require attention.

As to preventive maintenance, I believe my posts may be of some use for you:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

Cheers,

JPN

Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to use a fuel system cleaner that is iuntroduced into a vaccume line, or one rich you attach to the hose which is the fuel filter out. they are far superior to intake fuel system cleaners. go to Firestone and ask for a fuel system cleaner, its about $80 you will see smoke fly out the back which is carbon from valve seats and valves. unless you know someone that works there it is free =)

Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM

Techron is the BEST cleaner, I have sworn by it for years. Although I have not tried personally to clean injectors out of the car. I heard that it can be done. I had them out recently when I pulled the intake manifold to do PCV system. They are dirty around the nozzle. I too am going to put new seals in and assume that I could soak the tips in straight Techron overnight to loosen up the gunk. Cleaning them off the car properly could be done by making a setup of a fuel pump, resevoir for solvent and some way of putting the correct voltage to the injector. If you can be sure of the operating voltage and amperage for the injector I am sure that you could force some type of cleaner through them.

Anyone got any ideas what electrical spec's are for the injectors?
What type of solvent would be good?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have used techron for years and love it.
In my Mustang I feel the difference in about 2 miles after putting it in.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 PM

Thanks to all for the posts! I will take all of it into consideration. I have also learned that the throttle body may be cleaned out to increase overall performance of the fuel system. I have learned much here. I love these forums! Best of luck to all....

jefhon

Old 08-08-2007, 12:52 PM

To have your injectors properly cleaned you need to remove them and take them to a shop that does that. One of the better known ones is RC Engineering (http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx). I use one locally called Arizona TPI, (AZTPI.com)
I imagine with an ultrasonic cleaner you could probably get them decently cleaned, but to really know for sure they need to be flow tested. These places will flow, clean, then re-flow them. Pintle caps are replaced as well as the o-rings. You will get a sheet that shows what their flow was both before and after cleaning. I did this on my RX7 and found one injector to be flowing about 85%, not good! It was 99% after cleaning and they all look brand spanking new now. To be honest I wouldnt even bother with injector cleaners in a bottle.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 PM

TOm,

I agree that when you have a car with high miles and neglected fuel system, as well as one with an injector only flowing 85% you really need a professional cleaning. Using a "out of the bottle" fuel system cleaner is just standard maintainence. Like washing and waxing the outside or changing the oil.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM

If you are set on having them cleaned out of the car I would go with what has been suggested above. If having them flow tested, etc. is not terribly important you might call some local diesel shops as most of them clean them less the printout of the flow. I had an RX-7 that I did this on and they did replace the pintel caps and seals and there was a definite difference. Mine were leaking internally from gunk which made hot starting on the rotary engine a nightmare. Cleaning change all of that. I have heard really good things about RC Engineering too, I was just looking locally and ran across a shop called ProDiesel and they fixed me right up. All four for $50 bucks or so. After they are cleaned do like JPN suggested and run cleaner through every 5 to 10k miles to keep them clean for peace of mind.

Good Luck,

Rob

Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will search out a local diesel shop and see what I can find. All of the feedback is really appreciated. Best of luck to everyone.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:16 AM
JPN

Thanks for your courteous notification.

Best of luck & please let us know how it goes.

JPN

Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM

Can Techron be used in a more concentrated solution ie. 12oz bottle to tank nearly on empty, or is must it be used per the instructions (12 gallons of gas)?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Hey now,

I would NOT RECOMEND IT as I used an additive once in the '94 Acura Vigor GS I used to own with about a third of a tank and I had a check engine light come on about six kilometers later and didn't go away until I filled the tank again.

It also took a couple of kilometers until it went off. During that time it didn't run well at all [:'(]. And this is a "Premium Fuel Only" car.

It's meant to be used witha full tank. Best to wait till you fill the tank IMO [sm=smiley20.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks...good advice....

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
JPN

Hey now,

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

JPN

Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM

You will get the same result from the cheap fuel injector cleaners like STP. Use a baby bottle and gradually squeeze in a little at a time into the hose. You won't believe the crud that will come out in smoke.