Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

fuel injector o rings

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector o rings

I am in the process of putting my oil trap on and getting the car back together. My problem is I ordered lower injector 'O' rings from groton with all this stuff for the flame/oil trap. It looks like they sent a double walled bushing of sorts that goes in the top of the injector rail before you put the top of the injector in. I need to know if there are replacement 'o' rings for this available at Napa, O'r\Reilly's etc? I went to Napa but they just matched the ring with one from a mustang and sold me 5 injector kits, each with 2 'o' rings. I figure I may as well replace the uppers. The part groton sent matches exactly with what is in the top of the old rail. I just need 'o' rings now. Anyone have a part number or know if they are somewhat generic. The ones from Napa look the same as the original other than the color. Good fit and all.

Anyone, ideas?
Thanks,
Rob

97 850, no turbo

Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel injector o rings

are you referring to the O Rings that are on the injectors themselvs? and not the fuel rail and intake plenum O Rings?

If you're talking about the injector orings I would say upi should be able to match them up at a autp parts place, or any hardware place that has an O Ring assortment.

-Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The Mustang injector o-rings will work fine.
They are almost the same injectors. Just a little bigger than the Mustang ones.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Mikeysq and Tech,,, thank you both for the fast reply. I was out putting the manifold back on and came back to check the board just now. I have not assembled the fuel rail yet but will do that tommorrow after I get two more kits for the "o" rings. So I have new grommets for the top but none for the bottom and cannot see any on the injectors or in the manifold. Is the o ring on the bottom of the injector going into the plenum all that you need. I see bottom grommets on Groton's site but seem to recall a post where a guy was asking a similiar question. Seems like the grommets were to keep dirt out maybe??? I will have to search for it.

If anyone knows if they grommets are a "must have" it would help me greatly. This is a third car so it is not crucial that it runs tomorrow but my wife seems to enjoy the seat heaters now that it is cold here in Tennessee. If I had it running for her when she leaves Monday to teach I might get brownie points!

Thanks again guys,
Rob

PS- One other thing. I disconnect the fuel line at the flare fitting right above the head/cover on top. Is there anything I need to do to prevent leaks when I go to tighten it back down? Any crazy rings there or anything? Aside from having a speck of sand or something in there to let fuel leak (found that out replacing fuel filter in a 740 turbo and kept having fuel leak from the copper washers,,,, it was a bit of grime preventing a good seal,,Arghh!) does it just seal up from tightening???

Old 11-04-2006, 06:55 PM

Found this for "o" rings in a search. 10 rings for $12. I paid like $16 something for 3 sets of 2 each. Napa had them for a Mustang and it came with a pintle or something that did not fit. I will go back tommorrow and get 2 more kits for the other injectors. I did not pull all 5, just one on the end so I thought 6 would be fine. Now I think I may as well replace them all and put the upper grommets from Groton in.

http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_orings.html

Old 11-04-2006, 07:36 PM

PS- One other thing. I disconnect the fuel line at the flare fitting right above the head/cover on top. Is there anything I need to do to prevent leaks when I go to tighten it back down? Any crazy rings there or anything?
There is an O ring where the pressure pipe joins the fuel rail.