Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fuel gauge sender o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge sender o-rings

Whenever I fill up the gas tank all the way on my 1993 850 GLT, after the car sits a while a bunch of gas ends up leaking out all over the passenger side of the tank. From searching the forums, it sounds like the problem is leaky fuel sender o-rings at the top of the tank.

I want to inspect the area and do the repair, but I had a couple questions first, just to make sure.

1) The two metal covers under the trunk padding seem to be stuck down with some kind of foam or putty. I assume I'm just going to have to cut through it. Do I need to replace it afterwards? If I don't, is it likely I'll get gas smell in the passenger compartment? (Or, does it just feel stuck down after all these years?)

2) When I started to take off the nuts holding the covers down, the bolts they turn onto seemed to be able to move as they loosened. At this point I stopped because I wanted to make sure if I took the nuts off whatever they're holding up wasn't going to fall into the gas tank. Are they supposed to move like this? Are these covers actually designed to be removed from the top without first dropping the gas tank or otherwise coming at it from underneath?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Fuel gauge sender o-rings

I doubt the sending unit o-ring is bad.
I will bet one of the Vent lines is cracked.

The studs you are talking about will slide some but not fall when the nuts are all the way off.
The foam is just stuck from sitting for so long.
Take a small screw driver and pop the cover off.
No need to reseal when going back on.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Please, be sure to exercise caution when working around the fuel system. IF possible, do it outdoors in the open air. Case in point, a neighbor recently pulled his car into the garage to replace the fuel filter and a line. He forgot that the gas hot water heater in the garage had a pilot light.......You can imagine the outcome.... Luckily damage was confined to the garage and laundry room.

Glenn

Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tech,

Thanks for the info. I'd read other posts from people with the same problem who blamed the o-rings. Perhaps you're right though, I'll have to check the vent lines.

Psaboic,
That's terrible. Don't worry, I'm always careful working around fuel.