Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fuel pressure regulator hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulator hose

I'm getting a little bit of fuel seepage from the hose going from the fuel line to the FPR in a 93 850 (non turbo). This is my girlfriend's daily driver car so I want to fix it as quickly as possible (though I don't think it's anything critical yet..) The inner layer of the hose is a little cracked. Due to the position of the hose clamps I think I may be able to replace it without removing the fuel rail (at least, I hope so).

Anyway, two questions:

1) The hose looks like regular 5/16" fuel injection hose, is that correct? There's no text on it but I'd like to be sure before I remove it and find out I don't have the right size/type of hose..

2) The Chilton manual mentions some sort of special device used to relieve the pressure on the fuel system before opening up the lines. What are some common methods of relieving the pressure without buying a custom tool? On my other car (a 280zx) I just disconnect the electric fuel pump while the car's running and let it sputter out (as it common practice with those cars). Will something like that work on the 850 as well?

Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel pressure regulator hose

I replaced that hose on mine a few days ago, I'll have to check but I think I used 1/4 ID hose but I will check tomorrow, if you're in a pinch pick up a foor each of 3/16 1/4 and 5/16 hose, it's usually pretty cheap. Make sure it's fuel line not plain rubber hose though. I replaced the clamps aswell. The fuel rail is easy to remove, i wouldn't sweat it, but if you don't need to remove it don't bother as long as you can get good acces to the FPR barb. There is a small schrader valve on the right end of the rail that if you depress would relieve the pressure, do it with a rag in hand to catch what ever comes out. It would probably be a good idea to either leave the car for a while after you do the repair so the gas will evaporate or give it a light rince when done.

-Mike

Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other point to relieve fuel pressure is from underneath the car by the fuel filter (PS rear door area) there is a T in the line with a Schrader valve.

I would try to do it without removing the fuel rail because, while it's easy to do it is recommended that whenever you start removing injectors that you replace the seals, although I'm sure plenty of people just inspect and replace if necessary.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll just go get a foot of each size after work as you suggested. It seems like relieving the pressure from under the car would be cleaner since the fuel would spill onto the ground or into a bucket instead of in the engine bay. Is there any advantage (e.g. less leakage) to relieving it at the rail?