Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Great, another problem, turbo sounds like a dentist drill

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great, another problem, turbo sounds like a dentist drill

Replaced some dried out vac lines last night, from wastegate to BCS and from turbo to BCS. Still making about the same boost, maybe 1psi more. But the turbo is loud as hell, and sounds like a dentist drill.

I am really starting to hate this car. Owned it 2.5 months, its only functioned for about 3 weeks, and has cost me over $3500 in repairs already....

Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Default RE: Great, another problem, turbo sounds like a dentist drill

It wasn't making this sound prior? I would check for a kinked hose. - AB

Old 12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it like turbo spool sound?

Also your CBV could be going bad as well as they tend to tear with time.

Also check all your vaccum lines again for kinks and whatever else.

Also are you boosting ok no problems with boost at all? Because there are check valves or something in there that if not reinserted properly could screw vaccum flow up.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 PM

Gonna look for check valves in the old lines, but I dont remember seeing any. Its not really a typical spool sound. Its more of a dentist drill, whine kind of sound...

And boost seems ok. Gauge reading the same. Not making any additional power, that I notice anyway.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 PM

And what is a CBV?

Old 12-07-2006, 03:48 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A dentist's drill...((((;゚Д゚)))

If the whining noise started after you've replaced the elbows, there might have been mixed-up connections, have you double-checked all connections that were disturbed (I assume you did)?

Also, check for loose hose clamps.

This sounds really dumb, but is there sufficient oil in the engine? A good supply of clean oil to the turbine bearing is critical for turbocharger (I'm sure you know it without my telling, so I apologize if you felt insulted).

I'm sorry that you've been having a number of problems with your 850. I wouldn't blame you for hating the car. My 850 also needed a lot of maintenance, since May I've spent about $2500 for parts alone (I did all the work myself, except wheel alignment). However, please note that it is typical to spend that much money for a car as old as 850's. One of the reasons is natural wear, but another major reason is that 95% of drivers don't take good care at all. Most people I know never even read the owner's guide and neglect scheduled maintenance until something breaks. By the time something breaks, other components are affected as well.

Many people still say "as long as you change engine oil regularly, cars last a long time". I 100% disagree with this statement, oil change consists probably only about 10% or less of what a modern car needs.

This is my first Volvo, and it is a well-built car and I really like it, except for the following:

1. Electrical/electronic systems are too fragile. Even a negligible fault disables certain systems (ABS and tranny are good examples).
2. Has tendency to leak fluids, especially engine oil & coolant.
3. Poor fuel economy, especially turbo models.
4. Interior trims & upholstery seem really cheap.

If you like working on machinery, Volvo's are great, but if you don't, then they could be nightmare.

Too bad that Haynes' manual is absolutely useless on turbocharger servicing. It only tells you how to remove it. What were they thinking (and the book says "based on complete teardown and rebuild", give me a break)? Even Chiltons are getting thinner these days, you can't write a manual for modern cars without at least triple the current pages.

Enough whining, like your turbo. Please let us know how things go.

JPN

Old 12-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Problem solved, turned out the turbo inlet hose was not clamped down tight & had a small tear by the clamp. So I cut the hose a little & tightened her down & its all good now. The dentist drill noise was air escaping, and it solved two problems. The dentist drill noise & the only making 5 psi thing.

However, now I am making too much boost & hitting fuel cut....

See fresh thread on that.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ENDEE666

And what is a CBV?
A "CBV", is like a "BOV". However it isn't. It bleeds off excess boost.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:52 PM

turn down your waste gate to where you only make 5 psi the install your mbc and adjust further or throw away your mbc and just adjust at the actuator

Old 01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Good lesson here.....ALWAYS check for torn hoses and loose clamps when faced with boost or turbo noise issues. Suprisingly, the turbos in our cars are pretty durable as long as you treat them right.

Glenn