Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

another new guys with S70 that sounds like it's has arthritis

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another new guys with S70 that sounds like it's has arthritis

I'm new to fwd volvos and am stumped with the front suspension. My current car is a 98 S70 with 145,000. In the winter it began to sound "creaky" in the front with pops and various other sounds. Lurking on this board and others, I tried various suggestions like replacing the sway bar links, control arm, springs seats and greasing the steering stops. The sway bar links and control arms looked very old and the rubber in the bushings looked slightly ripped so they probably needed replacing. Steering stops are easy enough to grease.

It was a friend of mine who replaced the spring seats with original volvo spring seats, actually with spring seats from an XC90. They match exactly but are supposedly more sturdy than the S70 spring seats. I asked him to check the strut mounts while he was in there and he said that the strut mounts looked fine with no cracks in the rubber, etc. He's a fantastic shade tree mechanic though not a volvo expert. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the strut mounts.

When I start up the car and first apply the brakes, the suspension groans. When wheel is turned there is a popping noise. I wish I could give more of a description than groan or pop but that is what it sounds like.

Also replaced earlier before the noises began was the torque rod bushing (poly one from ipd) and fire wall mount as well as the front engine mount. The passenger side cv axle was also replaced since the boot was ripped.

Finally, I have also done the "shake the tire test" at 12 and 6 and 3 and 9. There was no movement at 12 and 6 and some sound at 3 and 9 which sounded like the outer cv joint. Isn't it supposed to flex a bit?

Sorry for the long post. The sounds are so annoying and I really enjoy the car and want to resolve these issues. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, George

Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 PM

When my passenger side ball joint gave out it made a popping sound especially when turning into a parking space. I have a 98 S70.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mentioned you replaced control arm; both or just one side? The creaking could be a ball joint (which is part of the control arm).

The popping noise could be a CV joint; especially if you note the popping when turning.

The play in the wheel at 9 and 3 oclock is play in the tie rods and/or ball joint on that side. Has nothing to do with CV joint in axle.

If you don't feel competent in cking out the suspension take it in to a good indy volvo shop; they typically will ck it and give you a free estimate. Then you can decide what, if any of it, you want to do yourself. If you replace any front suspension components yourself, make sure you get an alignment when done.

Good luck.

Last edited by gdog; 04-15-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. I did replace the control arms in pair. They are not volvo because I could not afford the genuine parts. The control arms are less than six months old. The CV axle is also not volvo.

Would the tie rods account these noises? Also, could the sway bar bushings (the ones that hold the sway bars to the underneath of the car) contribute to these noises? The rubber of those bushings looked a little torn.

Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geovolvo
Thanks for the replies. I did replace the control arms in pair. They are not volvo because I could not afford the genuine parts. The control arms are less than six months old. The CV axle is also not volvo.

Would the tie rods account these noises? Also, could the sway bar bushings (the ones that hold the sway bars to the underneath of the car) contribute to these noises? The rubber of those bushings looked a little torn.

Thanks again.
Yes, the tie rods could account for the noises, as so could the sway bar bushings. Suggest you take my advice in previous post.

So where did you get the non-volvo parts? There's a lot of junk out there you know...

Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks gdog.

I will take your advice.

The aftermarket parts were from URO/APA. I know, I know they could be junk.