Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help with axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with axle removal

Trying to remove the left axle from the tranny and having very difficult time of it. I pulled the axle out of the cup to make it eaiser but still nothing. tried a long bar with my foot and lots of force. Tried a big slide hammer but it's not budging.

Any ideas? advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 AM

You can either use Lee's method:
Ozark Lee wrote:
"If you run into trouble releasing the driver's side axle from the transaxle, on the FWD versions, I have found that tapping a cold chisel in between the back of the inner CV and the transmission housing will pop the axle right out. Go along the side with only about 1/4" or so behind the inner CV so as to not booger up the seal."

In my case, I bought a 18" pry bar from Home Depot muscled it out.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by confused_al
You can either use Lee's method:
Ozark Lee wrote:
"If you run into trouble releasing the driver's side axle from the transaxle, on the FWD versions, I have found that tapping a cold chisel in between the back of the inner CV and the transmission housing will pop the axle right out. Go along the side with only about 1/4" or so behind the inner CV so as to not booger up the seal."

In my case, I bought a 18" pry bar from Home Depot muscled it out.
Thanks. I've had two chisel one on either side and drove them in tight and no release. I'll keep trying.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your snap ring has gotten jammed. Try this: tap the cup INWARDS a few times, then place a pry bar between the cup and the strong part of the transmission case. Rap it sharply- simple pressure won't dislodge the clip, it has to be sudden and sharp. Do this a few times. The slide- hammer method often won't work, as there's too much stretch, which absorbs energy.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Carrots
Your snap ring has gotten jammed. Try this: tap the cup INWARDS a few times, then place a pry bar between the cup and the strong part of the transmission case. Rap it sharply- simple pressure won't dislodge the clip, it has to be sudden and sharp. Do this a few times. The slide- hammer method often won't work, as there's too much stretch, which absorbs energy.
Thanks... I finally got it out yesterday with the 2 chisels, a big hammer and a lot of hope that the transmission wouldn't break. But it was a bit of a mystery to me why there was no oil in the splines, right or left???? . The dipstick shows full. This made it more difficult to remove. Isn't there suppose to be some oil in this area? The seals also get no lubrication so how long can they last. This was the 01 V70.