Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help! Diagnosing source of coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Diagnosing source of coolant in oil

Hello.

I have a '94, 850Turbo and have coolant in the oil. There isn't much on the end of the dip stick, and none on the oil cap. The car is a daily driver.

The car is running fine other than visually having water in the oil. The only "oop's" I had about a month ago was I let the oil level get low (off the end of the dip stick; 2 liters). Oil light never came on. The reason for the oil leak is the return line is leaking on the turbo.

timing belt was completed about 50,000K ago.

Couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to get coolant in the oil system from a leaking water pump?
2. Is it possible to have the coolant mix with the oil at/or in the turbo itself? (Common gasket @ turbo?)
3. Doesthe engine oil get cooled in the radiator?
4. Is it possible to have a blown head gasket (contamiating oil) and not loose compression on any cylinders?

Thanks!

Chris

Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Help! Diagnosing source of coolant in oil

Hi Chris,

Sorry about the problem.

What you see is probably plain water due to condensation, unless you're sure that it had coolant odor to it, as well as some discolouration. If you engine is running fine and you do not see white smoke that has coolant odor, it probably is plain water and should not need attention other than frequent oil & filter change (for your climate, I would use full synthetic 5W-30 in winter and 10W-30 in summer).

As to your questions:

1. Is it possible to get coolant in the oil system from a leaking water pump?
Negative. Water pump is simply there to recirculate coolant.

2. Is it possible to have the coolant mix with the oil at/or in the turbo itself? (Common gasket @ turbo?)
The turbocharger on 850s is cooled by engine coolant, but unless it has some serious cracks I do not believe the turbocharger is causing problems.

3. Doesthe engine oil get cooled in the radiator?
Yes it does. The engine oil enters from the top of the radiator and then comes out from the bottom. That is one possible location for the oil to get mixed with coolant.

4. Is it possible to have a blown head gasket (contaminating oil) and not loose compression on any cylinders?
I doubt it. And if the head gasket was failing, the coolant level in the reservoir should be dropping.

See what other members have to say. In the meantime, make sure to keep proper oil level. Even though these engines are extremely durable, they are also extremely sensitive to the quality & proper level of the oil. I would use full synthetic (since your car is turbocharged) 5W-30 or 10W-30, along with the OEM filter (MANN).

Twoparts sources that some of us use, just in case:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850tuneup.htm
http://www.eeuroparts.com/home.aspx

I hope I answered some of your questions.

Happy New Year.

JPN