Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help - Interior flooding during heavy rain

Old 11-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Interior flooding during heavy rain

My son's 850 is flooding during heavy rains. It doesn't happen during your average shower.

I am assuming that there is a drain or the like that is blocked so that some exterior area is filling up and overflowing into the interior. Where are the drains on an 850 with a sunroof?

We have cleared out the two at the corners of the trunk seal. Are there others that I need to attend to?

Thanks in advance,
John Martin

Old 11-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Help - Interior flooding during heavy rain

There should be 4 drians for the sunroof 2 in the front and 2 in the rear .Can you see any signs of where the water is leaking in the car at?I would also check the drains for the cowl by the windsheild.You cant miss them open the hood and look for 2 hoses going down in teh back of the engine comp.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Default Found It

One of the drain tubes running from the trunk lid gutter to the bottome of thee car had come loose. The reason thaat finding the leak was so difficult is that the water ran into the trunk, and throufh the back seat frame panel into the floor pan on the passenger side. No wet areas except in the floor pan.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Found It

I'm glad you found it.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:29 PM

I am having similar issues but I know the reason. I have a sun roof and when closing the roof, the back rear end of the glass does not rise and seal the roof and the glass. When I close the roof, the roof stops just short of all the way closed but the rear does not lift itself to seal the area around it. So I have this gap at the rearend of my sun roof. And when it rains it slides down the the sun roof and into my roof. I live in Florida and it rains like every other day so i think I have clogged my drains because just recently it has started leaking right above the rear passenger door jam. What can I do to begin fixing the sun roof, and what are some tips to cleaning the drains?

Thanks to those who reply.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Nicholunch,

Greetings from freezing Chicagoland.

You can adjust the roof glass, by loosening the Torx screws (two on each side I believe) and try re-positioning the glass. You'll have to remove the plastic cover at each side of the glass in order to get to the Torx screws. The following URL may be of help:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php

As to cleaning the drain tubes, it is ideal to remove them from the car and clean, but other than that, you can perhaps try forcing a coat hanger, flexible extension, or bring garden hose, mate it with the drain tube and run water at full-power.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

The glass itself is designed to help slow the leak not stop it.
They will always leak. But the way it is designed when it leaks it moves to the sides and drains out the drains. Clean the drains.

But also the glass itself goes bad where the metal mounts to it at the tracks.
That will also allow it to leak.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 AM

Good replies, I'm getting some water in the front driver side of the headboard also during heavy rains. I checked all the drains on the sunroof and they look good. Went through the car wash, and noticed it was leaking where the glass attaches to the brackets.
So I would be able to take the torx screws off and remount(hopefully re-seal) the glass??
Thanks for the help.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Some have installed a new seal but it is a major pain in the A**.
Best thing to do is to try to find a good used glass.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 PM

What about removing the glass, and running some silicon around the seal? that would pretty much weather proof the piece that is leaking right?
I would think that should work, just re-seal the front metal piece on the glass.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator

You can try that not to sure if it will work or not.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 AM

A follow up on my sun roof that was also leaking on the front driver's side.

After checking all the drains and verifying they weren't the problem, I did a couple more searches and found another posting on swedespeed along the same lines.
Other people having the same problems have determined it to be the seal between the glass and weather stripping, not the weather stripping and frame. So after having my driver's seat and headboard soaked again this morning, I picked up some glass sealant/silicone.

When I removed the glass from the brackets, set it down to pull back the weather stripping, and like the other people, had a bit of rust under the stripping, most of the way around the glass.

Just for a temp fix until we get a break from the Washington rain(maybe in April!!). I cleaned off some of the rust and applied a bead of silicon along the inner lip where the stripping goes, then for safe measure, another along the top of the weather stripping where it meets the glass.
I'll see in the next couple of days, hopefully this works as a temporary fix until I can get in there with a rust converter and repaint to stop it from rusting further.

Hope this helps anyone who is having leaking issues during hard rain, or has checked their drains with no problem found there.