Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help!!! Turbo seals?!? Pistons rings?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Turbo seals?!? Pistons rings?

Ok so last night my oil light came on and so I pulled into gas station and put oil in. I put a total of 6L in and the light was still on and nothing registering. I decided to drive home about 5 miles at like 25mph and got underneath car to find my lower oil line came off the rad due to a bad clip. I put a new clip on and did a synthetic oil change. Now when I drive you can hear a whooing sound from my turbo as it spools down. Not only that but I have major smoke coming out of exhaust at idle and smoke even seems to make it inside the cabin as if my muffler or cat is now clogged.
Any suggestions?
Thanks every one

Old 03-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a new cat?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm too lazy to check your previous posts but did you do your pcv? That's exactly what happened when mine was too clogged. Installing a brand new one solved all that.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Woah, you put abut 6L in? You need to pay attention to your oil better, that's close to 6 quarts which is how much you need for an oil change. You were running your engine dry. I would do a PCV. And do you always run synthetic? Or do you run standard and then put in synthetic?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 PM

I did the pcv two weeks ago and also installed a catch can. When I ran out of oil I add 6 litres total and it kept draining. It was like late at night and pouring rain so I didnt want to stop on side of road and look under. I got home a few miles later and looked under and re-connected the oil cooler line. I would say the engine ran dry for nomore than 5 miles at a spd no greater then 25mph.
I dont care if it blew my turbo cause im getting a new one but I just hope I didnt damage my engine at all from running quite dry.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM

I asked myself when I put those cooler connector clips on, Bob do you really trust these springy clippy things to hold such an improtant hose. Just imagine if the transmission or oil cooler line comes off while driving down the highway at 80mph....NO. So I put the springy clippy thing on and put a hose clamp over it to make damn sure it doesn't come lose.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by james_caza
Ok so last night my oil light came on and so I pulled into gas station and put oil in. I put a total of 6L in and the light was still on and nothing registering. I decided to drive home about 5 miles at like 25mph and got underneath car to find my lower oil line came off the rad due to a bad clip.
So you drove 5 miles w/o any oil in your engine and you're wondering if you did any engine damage?

I'm surprised it didn't seize up on you!!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Well I knew the risk I was taking but for a $700 car I wasnt about to pay $100 bucks to tow it and then go home in the pissing rain. Obviously it wasnt completely dry, there had to of been some oil on it and it wasnt grinding as I drove but Im sure I blew my turbo...maybe the turbo journal? Im not sure

Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 PM

If my muffler or cat wasclogged would that be the reason smoke is entering cabin through the rear of car?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll tell you what happened... most likely. The "oil" light is for oil pressure, NOT oil level. With the detached oil line, you didn't have any oil pressure, even after putting in oil. Which, as far as the engine is concerned... means there's no oil. This, in turn, would have damaged the turbo pretty quickly, hence the noise that it's making, and it's also now sucking HUGE amounts of oil through the air intake and burning it, which would account for the smoke. So... start with the turbo.

As for the PCV system, don't use a "catch can" on these cars. they're not necessary- that's what the oil trap does! (the black plastic box on the side of the block) A "catch can" just adds another place to get an air leak, which will lead to lean mixture, since it's air that doesn't pass through the MAF. Did you clean out the 2 holes in the block where the oil trap attaches to the block?

At any rate, start with the turbo. and NEVER, EVER run an engine, under any circumstances, with the oil pressure light on!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Carrots
I'll tell you what happened... most likely. The "oil" light is for oil pressure, NOT oil level. With the detached oil line, you didn't have any oil pressure, even after putting in oil. Which, as far as the engine is concerned... means there's no oil. This, in turn, would have damaged the turbo pretty quickly, hence the noise that it's making, and it's also now sucking HUGE amounts of oil through the air intake and burning it, which would account for the smoke. So... start with the turbo.

As for the PCV system, don't use a "catch can" on these cars. they're not necessary- that's what the oil trap does! (the black plastic box on the side of the block) A "catch can" just adds another place to get an air leak, which will lead to lean mixture, since it's air that doesn't pass through the MAF. Did you clean out the 2 holes in the block where the oil trap attaches to the block?

At any rate, start with the turbo. and NEVER, EVER run an engine, under any circumstances, with the oil pressure light on!

Oh I know better than to drive with oil light on, I pulled over instantly. I was cringing as I drove home. i didnt want to leave me and the gf in the rain on side of road. I will however never ever do this again even if its a 100metres away that I have to get to. I have done the PCV system and cleaned it very well including the ports and replacing the lines and oil trap. I have also deleted my ptc so I have the line coming from the oil trap and it goes to the catch can and then I have a breather filter for it to vent.

Therefore no oil should be getting sucked in by the turbo but someone has me thinking that maybe the turbo journal is gone and I guess that means its leaking oil internally and being burnt and sent through my exhaust.

Thank god I have a new turbo and new exhaust already on the way. I hope it solves my problem.

I appreciate the reply.

Btw the car is running absolutely fine and I still have quite a noticeable amount of power with the MBC. So its looking like I got lucky with not seizing the engine. The smoke is really bad tho. Especially when it comes in the cabin. Not to mention embarassing. Kharma for running my volvo dry =(