Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Horrible radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible radio reception

So I have a Panasonic radio in my sedan, but it came with an aftermarket deck before I did the swap. I cannot seem to get radio signals to come in, I have about 2 stations I can listen to. The power antenna works, it's connected to the wire, and it has a good solid connection to the radio, as well as in the trunk where the motor is. is there anywhere else it could come unplugged or is there anything else that can cause the radio to not pick up stations? I had the same deck since 2004, and I've never had any radio issues with it, and just for good measure, I wired in a Kenwood and it did the same thing to me.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM

i have the same issue with my Volvo 850, and it has the stock radio. it plays cassette through my ipod, but that's it.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGitsnickels
So I have a Panasonic radio in my sedan, but it came with an aftermarket deck before I did the swap.
I'm old and I get confused easily and I'm not sure I'm following that.
Are you saying you had an aftermarket deck in the car and you swapped in the Panasonic ?? Did the unknown aftermarket radio work with the antenna and have normal reception ??

Either way if the Panasonic did receive AM and FM signals before you installed it and so did the Kenwood then it has to be the antenna that's gone bad.
You could always rip any antenna off a dead car at the yard to test whichever deck you have in your car now to confirm it but it sure sounds like something broke in the antenna.

The antenna lead from the antenna mast to the radio SHOULD be one piece. I don't have personal knowledge of an 850 but everything else I've see they run a single unbroken cable. Well, except limousines since they have to cut them in half to make them.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-27-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM

The other radio it had didn't work on FM either. The Panasonic I know is good because it's traveled with me in several different cars, from my subie to my jeep, to the pontiac, to the chevy, and lastly onto the brick.

Maybe I'll go pull an antenna from a dead car or a cheapo from autozone and just hook it up and see what it does. The jack on the back of the radio looks good, doesn't seem to be any broken connections. If you just stick a plain piece of speaker wire inside the antenna jack, it picks up stations, but not all. But it will get better reception than the antenna.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 PM

Learn to play harmonica. Or sing. Either is better than 90% of what's popular on radio today.

Check for continuity from radio to antenna.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM

That's why it's always 'oldies' that I'm listening to, haha. Gotta get my Def Leppard and Nu Shooz fix!