Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

hydraulic lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
If it's quiet when it starts up it's because the oil is physically thicker before it starts to warm up. You could try going to a thicker oil or even a straight weight oil like a 40 or 50 weight during the summer. It would be more of a test as you'd have to revert to something thinner come fall.

If it's quiet when it starts up it's likely you have very worn bearings or lifters that can't stay pumped up once the oil gets thinner. Compression reading wouldn't hurt but it may not really direct you to the problem.

Lucas injector cleaner would be a very good thing to do. As for the marvel the problem is that if you had a sticky lifter it "should", should be sticky from the time you start it until you shut it down. If it's quiet at first it's likely NOT a lifter that is sticky. It could just be normal wear and clearances that are too large for the oil to fill properly.

Did the ticking or knocking come on abruptly??
Have you had it long and have you regularly changed oil and filter??
What weight oil are you running and is it a synthetic or ??

The other thing that would be really important to know is the oil pressure. You might be losing pressure as the temp builds and the oil gets thinner. It could be a bad pump, a bad oil pressure relief valve or spring or for an 850 there are seals in the pan that can wear out and allow some of the flow to bleed off so the engine isn't getting what the pump is pushing out.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=11256
what does the rod bearing do?it could be the problem. may be replacing them might cure the tick. where is it located in the engine and how hard is it to replace them?thank you

Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still had the tick after the lifters were installed which is why I went on to replace the oil pan seals, which is when I found the piston scrap. I still think the oil pan seals have something to do with the noise, but we won't know for a few days. Well really, we may never know if it was the piston causing the noise or the pan seals.

Oddly, there wasn't any clear evidence that the damaged piston was causing any noise or damage - no loss of compression and no damage to the cylinder wall, so that makes me think the piston wasn’t causing any of the noise. If it ain’t the pan seals and it’s not the piston, I have no clue what it could be!

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM

does anyone know of any tutorials on how to change the oil pump springs?how do you know if the pump springs is bad?doing an oil pressure test?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is also an oil thermostat down by the front engine mount. Not sure how it works but I can look it up maybe.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what does the rod bearing do?it could be the problem. may be replacing them might cure the tick. where is it located in the engine and how hard is it to replace them?

The connecting rod bearing is the bearing at the base of the connecting rod where the rod bolts up to the crankshaft. It's built in two pieces and needs to have a specific "clearance" between the bearing shell and the face of the crankshaft. This is the space that oil will fill and allow everything to rotate properly. If it's to tight you will get excessive wear and it's to loose you will get a knocking and or low oil pressure due to the oil running out of there instead of building a pressurized barrier between the two parts. The main bearings for the crankshaft are built and function the same way. To check the clearance you use "plasti gauge".

Instructions:Genuine Plastigauge - How It Works
Video how to:

For both the main bearings and the connecting rod bearings they will come standard or thicker. The reason they make them thicker is a damaged crankshaft can be ground smooth again but it will be smaller. To compensate you need to use a thicker bearing to make up for what was ground off. Because the bearing needed is thicker the diameter is actually smaller so it's referred to as "under" and usually goes in -.010 increments. Or at least it did, it's been a while since I've done any engine building

Attached Thumbnails hydraulic lifter noise-plastigauge.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
There is also an oil thermostat down by the front engine mount. Not sure how it works but I can look it up maybe.
The thermostat will stop the flow of oil to the radiators oil cooler until the temperature of the oil rises enough to open it. Similar to the way the cooling systems thermostat operates. Until it's warm it just recirculates back into the engine.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
The basic process is just like the antifreeze thermostat; once it hits a certain temp, it'll open up to allow oil to flow through the cooler.

If you pull the oil pan, you'll have to unbolt this which takes two T-30 (IIRC). There's a rectangular O-ring that will need to be replaced - which does not come oil pan gasket kit - dumb, IMHO...

Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Can you post a video of the sound?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Can you post a video of the sound?
yea sure l will post a video in a minute.both when it got quiet after lifter replacement, and it making the ticking again after changing my oil.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM

after the lifter change.here is a video of it.

and after an oil change.the tick has gotten worst.it sometimes tick when it starts up and doesnt stop and gets quiet when warm and starts ticking again. its like it stops and comes back again.strange.was very happy it was solved but now am sad.LOL

volvo lifter noise - YouTube

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM

how can you tell if my valve steam seals are going bad?it looked good to me when l was replacing my lifters.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM

You can't really see it's condition unless you remove one and inspect it, which would be a hassle - (1) just to get at, and (2) they're going to get mangled when you remove it and must be replaced anyway. The best way to tell is if you have good compression but get white smoke upon startup or when idling in Park for a few minutes.

Attached Thumbnails hydraulic lifter noise-volvo-850-valve-stem-seals-006-small.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM

yack the old one looks mesed up.LOL. l dont have none of the symptoms so l think am good to go.l would replace them when needed.l am going to do a compression test very soon.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by vjaneczko
You can't really see it's condition unless you remove one and inspect it, which would be a hassle - (1) just to get at, and (2) they're going to get mangled when you remove it and must be replaced anyway. The best way to tell is if you have good compression but get white smoke upon startup or when idling in Park for a few minutes.
are you replacing your steam seals?how is your piston situation going?hopefully the tick will stop after replacing the piston. that would be a miracle.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

I knew I had the smoke at startup so I did the seals when I did the lifters. Since the clicking didn't go away after the lifter job, I thought to replace the oil pan seals which has been known to cause a ticking sound. When I pulled the pan, I then saw the metal scrap in my pan and shortly thereafter, discovered the broken piston.

In thinking about it, I'm not sure the piston was causing the noise since there isn't any scarring on the wall, so I'm wondering if I had to replace the piston in the first place - I think it was damaged but not failing! All damage was below the rings which I believe is what keeps the piston moving up & down correctly.

But since I'm giving the car to my daughter, I don't want it blowing up on her so it was the right thing to do. I almost pulled the trigger on replacing all five pistons, but they go for $120 apiece, and the ring kit is another $50 per. That's a bigger chunk of change than I wanted to add to the project - I'm already up to a butt-load of coin for this "tune up"!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:48 PM

I knew I had the smoke at startup so I did the seals when I did the lifters. Since the clicking didn't go away after the lifter job, I thought to replace the oil pan seals which has been known to cause a ticking sound. When I pulled the pan, I then saw the metal scrap in my pan and shortly thereafter, discovered the broken piston.

In thinking about it, I'm not sure the piston was causing the noise since there isn't any scarring on the wall, so I'm wondering if I had to replace the piston in the first place - I think it was damaged but not failing! All damage was below the rings which I believe is what keeps the piston moving up & down correctly.

But since I'm giving the car to my daughter, I don't want it blowing up on her so it was the right thing to do. I almost pulled the trigger on replacing all five pistons, but they go for $120 apiece, and the ring kit is another $50 per. That's a bigger chunk of change than I wanted to add to the project - I'm already up to a butt-load of coin for this "tune up"!
how is your car issues soo far?did you get to replace the piston? l am looking to replace my oil sump rings soon.l am 80% sure it is the problem of the lifter tick after replacing my lifters

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM

So we were able to replace the piston and put everything back together to give it a test, but it would stumble and caugh and die after 3 seconds. As it was 4:30 am and I had a plane to catch in 6 hours, we called it a night. DrBrutal kindly offered to work on it while I was on vacation and rumor has it that in our haste to put it back together, we installed the cam sensor incorrectly. I've not heard the engine running, but I believe it is quite healthy and should go for another decade or so!

Had I had plenty of time and nothing better to do, I would have replaced the piston and put it back together to see if that would take care of the noise, without doing the sump gaskets, but I had to do both repairs at the same time, so I'll never be able to determine the exact issue - I'm a bit goofy that way...

Pulling the oil pan was a pain because of the power steering lines, but if you unbolt their two brackets (maybe three?) and then pry them to the drivers side - more than you think you should! - you'll be able to pull the pan. It's more of a pain to get it back in!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 AM

So we were able to replace the piston and put everything back together to give it a test, but it would stumble and caugh and die after 3 seconds. As it was 4:30 am and I had a plane to catch in 6 hours, we called it a night. DrBrutal kindly offered to work on it while I was on vacation and rumor has it that in our haste to put it back together, we installed the cam sensor incorrectly. I've not heard the engine running, but I believe it is quite healthy and should go for another decade or so!

Had I had plenty of time and nothing better to do, I would have replaced the piston and put it back together to see if that would take care of the noise, without doing the sump gaskets, but I had to do both repairs at the same time, so I'll never be able to determine the exact issue - I'm a bit goofy that way...

Pulling the oil pan was a pain because of the power steering lines, but if you unbolt their two brackets (maybe three?) and then pry them to the drivers side - more than you think you should! - you'll be able to pull the pan. It's more of a pain to get it back in!
l pulled my oil pan down before and it was a pain to drop it.but before l drop it again l want to make sure, replacing your rings cured the lifter noise before l go ahead dropping mine.it shouldnt take me long to drop it since l know what to look for.l am planning on doing that on my next oil change

Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Well, the new piston came with new rings so I'm not aware if the rings themselves made any improvement. But, I don't see how rings would affect lifter noise. I'll be back in the states next week and will be able to hear the improvement.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 AM

Well, the new piston came with new rings so I'm not aware if the rings themselves made any improvement. But, I don't see how rings would affect lifter noise. I'll be back in the states next week and will be able to hear the improvement.
how did it go brother?did your noise stop and still there?l am planning to replace my oil pan seals probably next week.

Quick Reply: hydraulic lifter noise