Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I got a no start prob!! Sorry....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a no start prob!! Sorry....

I know, I know. I swear I have searched all these forums beforei had to becomeone of those "help no start" people. But none seemed the same. Here it is. Mostly in the morning when it's cold "arizona cold" i will sit there and maybe crank on that key about 5-10 minutes. All i get is the sound of my pour starter and battery telling me they are quiting. Before if i held down the gas pedal the whole time and just kept cranking it would fire up after a munite or so of constant cranking. But now i have to give my battery a break every 15 sec., turn all lights,radio,blah blah off. then hope. But here is what i dont get. If I spray a shot of starter fluid up into the radiator intake hole its a few cranks then bam. Once started it has no problem providing i cruz long enough to warn her up. Last night i was going to start it without that fluid no matter what cause it seems to take more and more eachtime and that cant be good, anyways i sat and cranked, them moved wires, checked all my plug wires, and still nothing, it seems like there is no spark. but then i unplugged that vibrating thing on the throttle body and after a few more it putted up to a start then reved at like 1500. so.... help me out guys. sorry for the book

Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I got a no start prob!! Sorry....

Hi,

First of all, stop cranking for such a long time, you'll fry the starter. 15 seconds should be the maximum.

Test the battery in the following manner:
1. Voltage test with digital multimeter (DC volt). If the reading is less than 12V, the battery has reached its lifetime. How old is the battery? The average life of a battery is usually 3 to 5 years, depending on the care. If you decide to buy a new battery, I strongly recommend Interstate Battery Megatoron. I would definitely stay away from franchise/cheap batteries, as they are almost sure to fail prematurely. A good battery costs between $80 and $120.

2. Specific Gravity test with an SG tester. Visit a local auto-parts store and they should have one for a few dollars. A good investment. When you do this, MAKE SURE to wear an eye-protection. If the battery fluid is spilled into your eyes, you'll go blind permanently.

Also:
1. Test the ignition wires with DMM for correct resistance. Buy a Haynes manual or equivalent, they're only $20 or so, a good investment.
2. Inspect the distributor cap & rotor. If you see cracks or carbon tracks, replace with new OEM parts (Bosch).
3. Look at the ignition coil at night or in dark. If you see arc, replace it.
4. Remove spark plugs and check for electrodes. If they look worn, buy a new sets of Bosch platinum plugs.
5. When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?
6. Disconnect the induction hose and inspect the inside of the throttle body with a flash light. Open the throttle valve with your hand and look inside (with the engine OFF of course). If the inside of the throttle body looks black, buy a can of carburetor cleaner (one that's safe for O2 sensor & catalytic converter) and scrub-clean with a tooth brush. After cleaning, the engine requires more cranking to start. Floor the gas pedal and crank, and after the engine starts, gradually release the gas pedal.
7. Put a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (gas-line antifreeze) into the fuel tank.
8. Check the air filter.
9. Check for possible codes in the ECU.

>If I spray a shot of starter fluid up into the radiator intake hole its a few cranks then bam.
Did you mean the air intake hose or throttle body?

>but then i unplugged that vibrating thing on the throttle body
???

Most likely it is due to aged battery, judging from your description. Your car definitely needs a good tune-up as well.

Best of luck,

JPN

Old 01-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: supaman658

Mostly in the morning when it's cold "arizona cold" i will sit there and maybe crank on that key about 5-10 minutes.

If I spray a shot of starter fluid up into the radiator intake hole its a few cranks then bam.
Spraying starter fluid in the intercooler, leads me to believe that you have a weak fuel pump. However, it only happens in the morning when the weather is cold, leads me to believe that your fuel pump relay is not sending 12V power to your fuel pump.

Turn ignition key in the "ON" position -- This turns on fuel pump before starting. Using a regular ole tire pressure gauge, check fuel pressure at shrader valve on intake fuel rail.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Could also be a leaking injector or fuel pressure regulator.