Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

i have a few cosmetic questions i cant really find answers to

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a few cosmetic questions i cant really find answers to

how can i go about "restoring" the black mouldings all around my 850? whats the best stuff to use to last long?

where is the HOW TO on making the brake light LED's?

how can i turn off every single light in the car? parking lights, daytime lights, rearlights, how can i turn off every single light? kind of like "police survelance(sp?) mode"

where is the best place to relocate the stock horns to, i tried one spot and its not workign for me at all, it turns to a garbage noise, wheres the best possible place?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s_moneh
how can i go about "restoring" the black mouldings all around my 850? whats the best stuff to use to last long?

where is the HOW TO on making the brake light LED's?

how can i turn off every single light in the car? parking lights, daytime lights, rearlights, how can i turn off every single light? kind of like "police survelance(sp?) mode"

where is the best place to relocate the stock horns to, i tried one spot and its not workign for me at all, it turns to a garbage noise, wheres the best possible place?
Do a search, there's tons of these threads floating around. Showroom gray. IPDUSA.com

I don't think there is a way to turn off all the lights without rewiring, I don't know why you would want to do that in the first place.

I would try behind the bumper, or back by the firewall, tons of space in both those areas.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
Do a search, there's tons of these threads floating around.
Most people come on these forums because they dont have all day to search the internet looking for this stuff lol. Not to mention you could spend an entire day researching a topic and still not know nearly as much as if you posted a question answered by people who have knowledge and experience. Telling people to do a search everytime they ask a question takes the fun out of the whole idea of a forum.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 AM

I must be their spokesperson, even though I do NOT work for them! I used this stuff on my car (Link for the bumper dye http://showroomnewproducts.com/ ) for all of my moulding and it made it like new... Check this thread out...https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...light=showroom

Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheTrainwreck
Most people come on these forums because they dont have all day to search the internet looking for this stuff lol. Not to mention you could spend an entire day researching a topic and still not know nearly as much as if you posted a question answered by people who have knowledge and experience. Telling people to do a search everytime they ask a question takes the fun out of the whole idea of a forum.
The only thing I say search on are stuff that were just previously talked about and the thread is still located on the page. I'm not saying it to be an *** or anything, merely because if they look at that thread, they will get much more information faster, then if they waited for everyone to log on and throw in their 2 cents. Especially with the trim restoration, there are lots of threads about that with pictures and tons of info that they could pull up and have all their questions answered immediately, actually saving time.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As to restoring the mouldings, some people seem to have been using hair drier, whilst others have been using Kiwi Shoe Dye (polish?). I remember one member from Australia sternly stated that Kiwi was an Australian mfg but after a U.S company bought the mfg, the quality went down the hill or something of that sort.

As to LEDfying your brake lights, I believe you can either buy ready-made bulbs (shaped the same as the originals but there is/are LED inside in place of the filament). I would make my own by splicing & watching the polarity (reverse-biased LEDs will not light). I just fixed the LCD on my lappy with 25 high-intensity LEDs and now it is as bright as new (my lappy is 7 years old, and a conventional back lighting for LCD, CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) would only last about 5 years or so then it starts to get pinkish).

As to the horns, I bought aftermarket units that were shaped the same as the OEMs: http://www.fiammamerica.com/Product.asp?ProductID=156

I bought the more expensive units (there were cheap & upgraded units). The upgraded units were not too loud but loud enough for normal use. You would have to splice/solder the wires, though.

I could not help you with other questions due to lack of knowledge.

I suck.

JPN

Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jpn
i suck.

Jpn

hahaha. :d

Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Literally.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails i have a few cosmetic questions i cant really find answers to-suck.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

Is your car a U.S. spec car? If so turn the headlight switch all the way to the left. Then in the bottom right corner there is a little screw. Push it in and turn it. That will make all the lights turn off.