Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I need more help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need more help :(

So I (earlier in the week) Posted about my oil light coming on when I pushed in the clutch and hit the brakes. I checked the oil, it was low, BUT not at the "Add" line?! Bur regardless, I changed the oil and filter and had no real issues. UNTIL TOday. My wife took the car to work and she works about 20 minutes away and she claimed the oil light came on again and the car died (luckily in the parking lot, she was just parked kinda funny, lol) so I went to investigate, checked the oil, it was fine so I backed the car into a parking spot, there was no puddles under the car? and there were no check engine lights, nothing?! when I drive the car 10 minutes, no problem, more than that, there seems to be this re-occurring issue. It has been VERY hot here in Cedar Rapids, IA so the cars being drivin with the AC on high and recently I noticed the lights on the "aut" and recycle air button blink when I turn on the AC. It couldn't be my AC could it? It still blows ice cold. Also the temp of the car isn't overheating at all, stays right in the middle on the dash. I am confused. The car isn't acting strange aside from this?! I am confused, please help. It's a 95 850 GLT (non turbo) Thank in advance!

Heres some pics just because I gave her a full detail and treated her to new tires after the oil change/Air Filter.

Last edited by Msuperbauer; 07-03-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your climate control lights are flashing, it has an error code stored. If it has OBD-I you check it from slot B1 in the diagnostic port in the engine compartment.

If it is OBD-II you'll need to get the codes read, maybe from Autozone. That will tell you if it is related.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It does have OBD-I, it's a '95. It may also have a OBD-II port under the coin tray. But the OBD-I port is the best to use.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 AM

I believe it's obd1, I'm not worried about the climate control issue unless it's ties to my current issue. I can put that on my to do list for later.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM

I also noticed a slight metallic "chattering" sound about 2 seconds after starting movement (only when car is hot)

Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Msuperbauer
I also noticed a slight metallic "chattering" sound about 2 seconds after starting movement (only when car is hot)
IF ... it only dies when the AC is on it could be your AC compressor is going out and locks up or gets really hard to turn killing the engine. Have you added freon to the system lately ?? Same with that metallic noise if it's the compressors clutch under a lot of stress as the RPMs pick up as you take off.

Really good idea to read that code to see if it's anything serious.

Attached Thumbnails I need more help :(-obd-i-diagnostic-port.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you think it may be the ac compressor locking up, you can pull the accessory belt, start and drive the car for a few miles and see if that makes a difference.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
If you think it may be the ac compressor locking up, you can pull the accessory belt, start and drive the car for a few miles and see if that makes a difference.
I know you're just having one of those moments but you could also just turn the AC "OFF" and leave the belt there since the electro-magnetic clutch on the end would just allow the belt to freewheel on it's bearing on the end of the compressor without turning it.

If you do turn it off and still see the outer most part of the clutch turning then the clutch is fried and stuck on. Then you might want to pull the belt to see if it's the cause of the engine dieing.

The reason I asked about adding freon is I've had a couple cases lately with the higher temperatures of people not using a gauge or not paying any attention to it and overfilling their AC with freon trying to get it colder. The pressure will build enough to stall out the engine if it's overfilled.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 07-06-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM

I'm actually not sure it's only when the ad is on. Yesterday I Noticiced I had a leak from my oil pan plug and replaced the washer. I also am going to replace the one I. The fill cap. Would either of those give me a random low oil pressure light? I also put about half a can of seafoam in the crankcase and drove to and from work (5 miles) then added the rest and let her run for about ten minutes. Drained the 10w30 and replaced the filter and filled with 10w40. S far so good, but I haven't done over 15 miles, lol. I figuredmid try the easy fixes first before tearing into it. *fingers crossed