Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I only meant to check fluid levels I swear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I only meant to check fluid levels I swear...

That's how it all started...

I figured that since I'm heading out to MI next week for about 6 months I should give my car a good look over while I'm home and have a second car at my disposal to go part shopping with. I checked all the usual fluids and tire pressures. I then figured I should look at the air filter. When I popped the top off the air box I realized that the hose that connects the box to the TB had a huge rip in it. I took that out. I then noticed that the vacuum line that goes into the T connector by the air box had a leak in it, took that out. I then decided that since I was there I should check the flame trap, that was about 50% clogged removed that. This leads me to my question...

The flame trap housing has two hoses connected to it, one large one small. The port that the small hose connects to was completely clogged. The large port had some build up but nothing that caused me to scream. I'm going to replace the housing because one of the locking tabs was snapped off, but is there anything else I should be concerned with? What should defiantly be replaced?

Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: I only meant to check fluid levels I swear...

Make sure the Hose itself is clear then that should be all.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:26 AM

Well I picked up my parts today and began reassembling the portion of the intake I disassembled when I snapped one of the tubes connecting the vent box to the flame trap housing. I poked around for awhile and eventually came to the conclusion that I needed to remove the intake. Well several hours later and much frustration I have the intake off which brings me to my questions:

1. While I've got the manifold off what should be replaced/looked at asides from the 3 gaskets (EGR, TB, Intake to head) and the injector seals?
2. I've quite a bit of crud built up in the manifold I was going to use some lacquer thinner but I noticed there are some flaps internal to the intake, what precautions should be taken in cleaning?
3. What are those flaps for? and I assume they should be to one extreme or another and not centered?
4. The hoses to the vent box seem clear should I be worried about the vent box itself being clogged? If so how do I check?
5. When reinstalling everything do any of the bolts need thread locker or anti-seize?
6. Do any of the numerous hoses that I've pulled off need to have sealant put on them during reinstall?

I think that about covers it if there are any words of wisdom they will be much appreciated. I took a look through one ludeless's posts and it was very helpful.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

1. I thin you got it all
2.I would use Brake clean or Carb Cleaner.
3.The flaps are part of the EGR system.
4.YOu can remove the Oil cap and blow compressed Air in one of the hoses and Cap the other and see if it comes out the Oil Cap hole.
5.NO
6.NO

7. Tips. Install the gasket and the Lower bolts. You should see the intake notched on the bottom. Then slide the intake onto the bolts.
Make sure the Throttle body is also clean.

That is about it.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Well I picked up my parts today and as I was getting ready to put it all back together I noticed that the intake gasket that I removed is different from the one I bought today. As you can see in the picture the right hand corner is different. It covers a bolt hole that I don't think is used.

The part number on the old gasket it 6842364 while the new one is 1275055. I looked on groton and the gasket that I have wasn't listed however it fit the description of the new one.

Did Volvo redesign the gasket at some point? I just want to make sure that once I put this all back together I won't need to remove it again because this is not exactly an easy job.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1385/D69A87FD2E7B44829D95F1257B48E5AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 PM
Administrator

That will work fine.